2 recipes with cod for Easter
During the celebration of Holy Week both religious practices and gastronomy and rest are mixed these days. And in these days recipes are precisely related to those days in which Lent, Vigils and fasting make their presence.
So it is very common that these days both fish and salads, vegetables, legumes and pasta gain some prominence when making menus.
In this post we provide two fish recipes that we can prepare these days of Holy Week or also at any other time of the year.
We will prepare Cod with Vizcaína and one Smoked cod salad with orange and a vinaigrette.
To prepare fish dishes these days, recourse is mainly had to cod, as well as other delicious salted fish with which many recipes are prepared, we can also resort to fresh fish.
With cod many recipes are prepared these days if you want to prepare a Vigil Potaje You can see our recipe in NatureVia.
Cod in Biscayne
The cod to the vizcaína It is a dish representative of the cuisine of the Basque country. Although it is prepared to taste it at any time of the year, during Holy Week its preparation is part of the tradition during those days.
This recipe is very rich and becomes one more recipe to incorporate into our recipe book with which to prepare and taste cod these days.
- 4 pieces of cod desalinated previously and of rather large size.
- 4 red onions and 3 tender onions peeled and cut in julienne.
- A washed and sliced leek.
- 6 garlic cloves without skin and minced.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices of bread.
- Half a liter of fish broth or water.
- 8 choriceros peppers.
- Salt (optional, first try).
- We put out to desalinate the cod at least 24 or 48 hours before cooking it making the water changes to desalt every 8 or 10 hours and keeping it between change and always change in the fridge.
- We remove the seeds from the choriceros peppers and soak them in a bowl with warm water to hydrate them for about 3 hours.
- Then we drain them well and open them in half to remove all the pulp with the help of a spoon or knife and we will reserve it.
- In a cauldron we put a small dish of oil to be heated to brown the slices of bread a little.
- When they are golden brown we remove them from the cauldron and we reserve them on absorbent paper or napkin so that the surplus of oil drains, then we chop them.
- In the same cauldron and same oil we brown the garlic cloves.
- When the garlic is almost ready add the pieces of cod along with the garlic and brown a little bit the pieces of cod on both sides. We remove the cod and reserve it on a plate.
- Then in the same oil, if it were necessary add a little more oil, pochando onions and leeks.
- We lower the heat to poach and when it is all pochadito we add the pulp of the choriceros peppers, stir and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the sliced fried bread, the fish stock, and cook for 15 minutes with moderate heat. Then remove from the heat and grind the sauce with the blender until it becomes a puree.
- Again we put the sauce in the cauldron and add the pieces of cod.
- Cook the cod with moderate heat for 15 minutes and pour over the cod while you are cooking tablespoons of the same sauce.
- We check if the cod is already cooked and put out the fire.
The cod to the Biscayan can accompany it with some boiled potatoes, fried potatoes in small squares, or a garnish of vegetables.
Smoked cod salad with orange and vinaigrette
The smoked cod is ideal for preparing salads. The smoked cod salad It is very rich and immediately we have ready a starter or entree to taste it these days of Holy Week or on summer days when the heat tightens and we want more fresh dishes.
As with all salads we can vary and play a lot when choosing the ingredients to prepare them, we just need to blow our imagination and prepare delicious salads. We have chosen these ingredients and we have been very rich.
- A bag of mixed lettuce, or canons, or arugula.
- 200 grams of sliced smoked cod.
- 2 boiled eggs.
- 2 oranges
- Cherry tomatoes or salad tomato cut into cubes.
- A handful of black olives without bone.
- A pinch of salt.
- Optional: If you wish you can add broccoli and onion.
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- A tablespoon of sherry vinegar.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil with a mild flavor.
- We thoroughly wash the lettuce mix and drain. We put the lettuce mixture in a salad bowl or fountain and reserve.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and put them on top of the lettuce.
- We put the eggs to cook in a water heater and cook with moderate heat, when it starts to boil, cook for 10 minutes and remove from heat. Let cool to remove the skin, cut them into wheels and reserve to garnish the salad.
- Chop the slices of cod and add it to the salad bowl. We remove the skin from the oranges, extract the segments and cut them into pieces.
- We add the chopped orange segments to the salad and the black olives as well. We add a little salt over the top and carefully remove a little.
- We prepare the vinaigrette, in a cup we mix the vinegar and the oil until they link well.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and serve.