Benefits of oat milk, properties and how to make it
Currently in the market we can find a wide diversity of beverages of vegetable origin that become almost without any doubt an excellent alternative for those who do not want to continue consuming milk of animal origin, as for example could be the case of cow's milk or Goat's milk They are a good alternative, precisely, for those who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, for those who definitely do not want to consume more beverages of animal origin, or in short for those who suffer from lactose intolerance.
This intolerance, as you surely know, appears when our body is not able to properly digest the milk sugar (lactose), as there is a lactase deficit. We must differentiate it from the allergy to milk proteins, which is a disease characterized by an excessive response of the immune system to proteins present in milk of animal origin.
In any case, the oat milk It is an excellent natural option for everyone, even for the smallest of the house because of its nutritional richness and the different benefits it brings, and that is elaborated from the oats. But you may have already asked yourself the following question ... why do they call it oatmeal when it is not really a dairy?
We could say that this denomination is rather a purely advertising purpose, probably derived from the appearance in supermarkets of the soy drink, and because in a sense many people tend to identify it in this way even if it is not made with milk. However, its correct name is drink of oats or vegetable drink of oats.
The properties of the oat drink
The truth is Oat milk is a wonderful beverage rich in essential nutrients, and that in turn provides a wide diversity of benefits and properties, ideal within a healthy, varied and balanced diet.
High nutrient content
- Fiber: The oat drink provides good amounts of fiber, essential for the proper functioning of our intestines and useful for regulating intestinal transit and for preventing or treating constipation.
- Carbohydrates: It is a drink that provides energy, highlighting above all its high carbohydrate content. In fact, 100 grams of this drink provide almost 10 grams of carbohydrates.
- High protein content: the oatmeal drink stands out for its high protein content, although obviously compared to beverages of animal origin as for example is the case of cow's milk its contribution is much lower. However, 1 glass of oat milk provides 2 grams of protein.
- High content of B vitamins: we are faced with a drink with an interesting contribution in group B vitamins, essential for the proper functioning of our nervous system.
- Presence of essential amino acids: Oat milk provides good amounts of essential amino acids, which help our body for example in the formation of new tissues.
- High calcium content: Although calcium is usually associated with dairy products of animal origin, did you know that 100 grams of oat milk provide 120 mg. of calcium ?.
Ideal against constipation
Because of its fiber content, we are faced with a drink of vegetable origin useful for those suffering from constipation, as well as for those who usually have problems when going to the bathroom.
It becomes, therefore, a unique natural option when it comes to regulating intestinal transit and improving the functioning and health of our intestines.
However, incidentally, a review carried out in 2014 of the various scientific studies conducted to date in relation to the effects of oats on constipation, found that, although indeed oats or oat bran can significantly increase stool weight and decrease constipation, there is no evidence to support a specific effect of oats on bowel function compared to other cereals (1).
Helps lower cholesterol and triglycerides
Oatmeal drink does not provide cholesterol, and in fact it constitutes an excellent drink when it comes to help our body to reduce high levels of fats in the blood, not only cholesterol but also triglycerides (2).
In this sense, it is a useful option when it comes to preventing cardiovascular diseases and the elevation of fats in the blood, or even an option to add to our diet when we have been diagnosed with high cholesterol or high triglycerides. What's more, it helps reduce LDL cholesterol (also popularly known as bad cholesterol).
In addition, as demonstrated (3), regular consumption of oats prevents obesity and distribution of abdominal fat, and improves liver function in humans.
More easily digestible
If you usually consume cow's milk or goat's milk it is quite likely that at some point you have suffered from indigestion or digestive problems after taking them. The reason is obvious: our digestive system is not 100% prepared to digest this type of drinks. Moreover, there is a growing number of nutritionists who agree that we should stop drinking animal milk in adulthood, opting only for the wonderful breast milk when we are small.
In this sense the oatmeal drink stands out for being more easily digestible, becoming a unique option for those who usually suffer from heavy digestions.
Suitable for diabetics
Oat milk is a useful natural option for people who need to control their blood sugar levels, since it helps us precisely to control these levels in a natural way.
Good for your nervous system
Due to its richness in group B vitamins, we are faced with a wonderful drink for the nervous system, since as you surely know these vitamins are useful for the proper functioning of our nervous system.
Moreover, it becomes a unique option for those who usually suffer from stress and anxiety, helping to relax in a completely natural way.
Properties of oat milk, in short
We are without any doubt before a type of vegetable drink that becomes a good option for breakfasts, snacks and snacks, thanks to its nutritional contribution and its low fat content. which are your main benefits? We reveal them to you next:
- High contribution in group B vitamins: The B vitamins are essential nutrients essential for the proper functioning of our nervous system, ideal for example for those who usually suffer from anxiety and stress. The vegetable oatmeal drink is unique in this sense, for its contribution in vitamins B.
- Very rich in amino acids: Oat milk provides 8 essential amino acids that become a source of energy and proteins for our body.
- High fiber content: Although you do not believe it, the vegetable oatmeal drink stands out for its high fiber content, making it a wonderful natural option for those suffering from constipation.
- Ideal for high cholesterol: If you have high cholesterol and also triglycerides, oat milk is ideal precisely because of its fiber content, making it a good option for those who have a higher risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease.
- Much more digestive: Compared with milk of animal origin, this vegetable drink stands out for being more easily digestible. What's more, did you know that it even digests better than other vegetable drinks such as, for example, soy milk?
How to make oat milk at home: simple recipe
As you will see, the process for making homemade oat milk is extremely simple and easy. In fact, you only need oatmeal flakes and water, and a device that helps to grind and liquefy the ingredients easily, automatically and virtually effortlessly.
Ingredients to make oat milk:
- 6 tablespoons of oat flakes
- 1 liter of water
Steps to make oat milk:
- Place the rolled oats in a blender.
- Add the water and blend well.
- Strain with a fine strainer.
If you want more or less consistency, it is advisable to use more oats if you want a much more consistent drink, or less if you want something more liquid.
As sweeteners, you can use honey, an infusion of stevia or whole cane brown sugar.
Then we leave you with an explanatory video where you can visualize how to make oat milk with another recipe equally easy and simple:
By the way, in addition to vegetable oatmeal drink, did you know that we can also learn to prepare a wonderful porridge? It is a traditional English breakfast, very nutritious and full of benefits, very easy to make also at home.
Main contraindications of oat milk
Although the vegetable oatmeal drink is usually a healthy and highly nutritious drink, it is true that before consuming it, we must pay special attention to what are the contraindications of oat milk, since in certain situations its consumption is not recommended at all.
The main contraindications are the following:
- Allergy to gluten and celiac diseaseAlthough oatmeal does not contain gluten, it tends to be packed mainly in factories that do handle gluten-containing cereals. Therefore, it is only advisable to consume those products whose label specifies that it is a "gluten-free product".
As we see, in reality there are few contraindications related to milk or oat drink, mainly because only the drink resulting from the cooking of oatmeal is consumed, and whole oat flakes are not consumed.
- Thies F, Masson LF, Boffetta P, Kris-Etherton P. Oats and Bowel Disease: a systematic literature review. Br J Nutr. 2014 Oct; 112 Suppl 2: S31-43. doi: 10.1017 / S0007114514002293
- Onning G, Akesson B, Oste R, Lundquist I. Effects of oat milk, soy milk, or cow's milk on plasma lipids and antioxidant capacity in healthy subjects. Ann Nutr Metab. 1998; 42 (4): 211-20.
- Chang HC, Huang CN, Yeh DM, Wang SJ, Peng CH, Wang CJ. Oat prevents obesity and abdominal fat distribution, and improves liver function in humans. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2013 Mar; 68 (1): 18-23. doi: 10.1007 / s11130-013-0336-2.