Bread pudding: what is it and easy recipe
Although it is traditionally known by the name of bread pudding, depending on the country where we are, it is possible to find it also with other names or denominations, such as bread pudding Or simply bread cake(it is well known in Central and South American countries).
It becomes a traditional and classic dessert, consisting of a sweet dessert typical of English cuisine usually composed of bread crumbs, which depending on the country where we are can also include sponge cake, rice ... It is common that in its preparation also add other typical ingredients, such as egg, various fruits and custard (custard).
In fact, today we can distinguish a wide variety of puddings or puddings. Although basically it is a sweet made with bread, milk, egg and fruits. It is also possible to find salty variants, accompanied by sausages or sausages.
Although it can be made all year round, the truth is that we are faced with a typically Christmas dessert, thus becoming a wonderful choice for both Christmas and even the traditional Thanksgiving holiday in the United States (yes, it is also a Anglo-Saxon dessert).
As regards its organoleptic qualities (that is, its taste, texture and appearance), it is a dessert with an appetizing appearance that is reminiscent of a flan or cottage cheese, with a sweet flavor and a wonderfully smooth texture.
The truth is that its preparation is actually very simple. And this time we are going to learn to elaborate a traditional homemade bread pudding, as was done in the past in most English houses. Do you dare to prepare it with us ?. It will take you about 1 hour to prepare them, and about 1 hour 30 minutes to cook them.
Homemade bread pudding recipe
- 600 gr. of bread
- 1 liter of milk
- 500 gr. of sugar + 150 gr. of sugar
- 4 eggs + 5 yolks
- 80 gr. of canned fruit
- 1.5 dl. of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 handful of raisins
Steps to make bread pudding:
- One day before making the bread pudding, crumble the bread and place it in a large bowl. Add the liter of milk and let it soak for 24 hours.
- After the day put in a pot 500 gr. of sugar, water, cinnamon stick and 3 cloves and let it boil for about 1 minute. Remove the syrup from the heat and reserve until it cools a little.
- Mix the 4 eggs with 5 yolks and then wrap the syrup with the spices, stirring constantly.
- Strain the mixture with the help of a sieve and add it to the bread.
- Add the canned fruit.
- Meanwhile put the remaining sugar (150 grams of sugar) in a saucepan with a few drops of water and let it boil until it forms a kind of light caramel. When ready, pour it into a special mold for pudding.
- Pour the whole mixture into the pudding and add a handful of raisins on top.
- Bake in a water bath at 180ºC for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- After this time, when it is ready, reserve it by letting it cool a little and unmold it.
How to eat bread pudding?
It is common to eat warm or slightly warm bread pudding and accompany it with a little more caramel or cream. On the other hand, it is also common to accompany it with a good cup of tea with milk, or even just eat it alone.
On the other hand, it becomes a nutritious dessert that can become a good option for breakfast and snack, especially for the little ones in the house. In fact, it is a dessert so easy to make that we can make them with them at home.