Calcium: benefits and properties, functions and rich foods

The calcium It is the mineral that we have in the greatest quantity in the human body. Not in vain teeth and the bones they take the highest proportion of calcium, with 99%. However body tissues, blood, neurons and other body fluids take the remaining part, about 1%.

The properties of calcium makes it the most important of the minerals linked to increase, maintenance and reproduction of the human body, and as it does not help to strengthen the bones and teeth, keeping them strong and healthy.

Another benefit of calcium is that it helps blood clotting, nerve signals, relaxation and muscle contraction, as well as the release of some hormones; similarly it is fundamental for the normal beats of the heart.

Calcium functions

  • It forms part of both the teeth and the bones, as well as the tissues.
  • Necessary for the correct coagulation of the blood.
  • Actively participates in muscle contraction.
  • It participates in the transmission of nerve impulses, finding it inside the cells of our body.
  • Stimulates the secretion of hormones.
  • It contributes to the activation of different enzymes, which act as gauges in chemical reactions.
  • It participates in the permeability of cell membranes.
  • It helps in the absorption of vitamin B12 (cobalamin).

Benefits of calcium

In addition to the calcium functions indicated in the previous section, it also provides the following benefits:

  • It helps us to enjoy strong bones and teeth.
  • Correct blood coagulation.
  • Helps to avoid osteoporosis, especially in women over 35 years.

Recommended daily amounts of calcium

AgemensWomen
0-6 months210210
7-12 months270270
1-3 years500500
4-8 years800800
9-13 years13001300
14-18 years13001300
19-50 years10001000
+51 years12001200
Pregnancy and lactation-18 years1300
Pregnancy and lactation+18 years1000

Deficiency symptoms of calcium deficiency

Calcium deficit can cause:

  • Osteoporosis (decreased bone mass, as well as increased bone fragility).
  • Rickets (bone deformity and low mineralization in the bones).
  • Tetany (alteration of muscle contraction).

What are the foods richest in calcium?

Below we offer a complete table with information about some of the foods with a higher calcium content.

In this sense, we indicate the amount of calcium in food and drinks per 100 grams.

Fresh manchego cheese

475 mg

Sardines in oil

405 mg

Almonds

243 mg

Hazelnuts

240 mg

Norway lobster

220 mg

Prawns

218 mg

Prawns

218 mg

Yogurt

155 mg

Dried figs

152 mg

Chickpeas

148 mg

Pistachios

125 mg

Cow milk

120 mg

White beans

119 mg

Chard

114 mg

As we see, there are many foods that contain calcium, but mainly and always associated with calcium to milk and dairy products, such as yogurt, cheese, butter.

In many occasions we associate the calcium level with the fat that the food may contain, but this aphorism is not at all true, since calcium has nothing to do with the proportion of fat that milk, yoghurt, yogurt can contain. butter or other foods rich in calcium.

Other foods rich in calcium, are vegetables, such as broccoli, common cabbage, kale, mustard, or Chinese cabbage.

Also the sardines, the salmon, the seafood, the almonds and the vegetables dry are other sources of calcium.

There are some processed foods for those people who do not usually eat so many dairy products, and that serve as a source of increased mineral, are those products such as breads and orange juice that contain a sufficient amount of calcium for the body.

If there is a certain lack of calcium in the body, people can develop a condition that leads to osteoporosis, hypertension or other disorders.

However, there are other people who are lactose intolerant, that is, they find it difficult to digest the milk sugar and for that reason, different dairy products have been elaborated, which involve calcium that can not be supplied by said milk or are substituted by others such as rice milk, soy milk, of almond, which contains the necessary calcium.

More information | Medline Plus This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist.

The Benefits of Magnesium (October 2019)