Carotenoids: health benefits
The carotenoids are compounds that have a very important antioxidant action, which tend to function as precursors of another vitamin equally important: Vitamin A.
Between the carotenoids For example, it is necessary to name, for example, beta (provitamin A itself), alpha, gamma carotene and lycopene, about which we already spoke to you on a previous occasion for your properties Protectors against prostate cancer.
Since they are very important for health, it is necessary and necessary to know which are their main Benefits Y properties.
Benefits of carotenoids for health
There are several properties of carotenoids that, in some way or another, they provide us to take care of our health. We highlight below the most outstanding:
- They help prevent certain types of cancer.
- Prevent the onset of cardiovascular diseases.
- They strengthen the immune system, helping in turn to increase defenses.
- They protect the membranes of our cells.
- They have important functions related to the mucous membranes.
- They protect the memory.
- They prevent problems such as cataracts or macular degeneration.
Where to find carotenoids?
Although it will clearly depend on the type of carotenoid that we want to consume, basically there are many foods that, in one way or another, offer several.
- Lycopene: tomato, guava and watermelon.
- Carotenes: dark green vegetables, fruits and vegetables both yellow and orange, such as mangoes and papaya or watermelon, carrots, squash or peaches.
- Luteínas: red pepper, broccoli, cabbage, avocado, egg yolk, pumpkin, spinach.