Crunchy chocolate nougat and puffed rice: original recipe
If there is a crunchy chocolate nougat that becomes one of the most consumed options of Christmas, it is quite likely that the Suchard nougat stand out precisely for being the most popular. It is the traditional chocolate and rice nougat, whose chocolate brand dates back to 1826, when it was originally founded by the Swiss Philippe Suchard in the city of Neuchâtel.
If you are interested in discovering more about how you can make this type of nougat, we encourage you to read the note we dedicate to it, entitled how to make Suchard nougat easily at home, in which we explain the necessary ingredients and the steps to do it this Christmas.
Although it is true that this brand enjoys the popularity and hegemony of what we could understand as a crispy chocolate nougat (because it is one of the most popular in this sense), the reality is that we can also make our own chocolate nougat and rice at home. In fact, although at first you may think it is complicated, you do not need more than a few minutes to prepare it.
The origin of chocolate nougat and rice
It is quite probable that although the origin of the nougat understood as Christmas candy has a much older birth, the origin of the crispy nougat of chocolate and rice we should find it in the brand of nougat Suchard.
That is, although the origin of traditional nougat should be found around the sixteenth century, when originally was born in Jijona, his birth probably dates back to a contest conducted by the Arabs in order to create a food that could last for a while without spoiling or cause infections, and designed for army trips.
In the case of crispy chocolate nougat, its origin must be found at the birth of Suchard as a chocolate factory around 1826. Little by little, Philippe Suchard began to open chocolatiers all over Europe, officially arriving in Spain in 1910.
Although it is not known for sure when the chocolate nougat was originally born, it was in the year 1960 when Suchard launched its traditional Classic Suchard nougat, thus becoming an authentic icon and tradition in Spanish Christmas.
Recipe of crispy chocolate nougat and puffed rice
The development of crunchy chocolate and rice nougat original is extremely easy and simple. Discover what ingredients you need and the steps to make it.
- 200 gr. of milk chocolate.
- 100 gr. of dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa is recommended).
- 50 gr. of cocoa butter (you can use lard).
- 70 gr. of inflated rice.
Elaboration of crispy chocolate nougat and puffed rice
- In a small saucepan, put the cocoa butter or pork lard in the bain-marie, and melt it. Meanwhile, chop the two chocolates (milk chocolate and dark chocolate) and just when the butter has melted add the two chocolates. Stir constantly with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon until the chocolate melts and has mixed well.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the inflated rice, mixing again well with the help of the spatula or wooden spoon.
- Put baking paper in the mold where you will leave the nougat and pour the mixture into it (if you use a silicone mold it is not necessary to do this).
- Reserve at room temperature, and when it is colder, cover it with clear plastic wrap. Put it in the fridge and leave it there overnight.
- The next morning, undo it well. Ready! You can already enjoy it.