Gañotes: Sweet Easter Recipe
The gaúote It is a traditional sweet of the Sierra de Grazalema in the province of Cádiz. It is prepared during Lent and throughout Holy Week.
The dough with which these sweets are prepared is very similar to that of the donuts, they are flavored with cinnamon and anise, and the difference with the donuts is the shape that is given to this sweet, which is spiral.
The spiral shape is given using a rod or metal tubes. The mass of the gañotes is prepared with eggs, flour, sugar, sesame (sesame), grated skin of orange and lemon, olive or sunflower oil and flavored with cinnamon and anise.
Holy Week also has a wide gastronomy that is also linked to these dates in which both sweets and pastries have their little space these days.
- 500 grams of simple sifted wheat flour.
- 150 grams of sugar.
- 3 large eggs
- 3 measures of egg shell olive oil soft flavor for the dough.
- A tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
- One tablespoon of aniseed grain.
- A tablespoon of sesame (sesame).
- The grated skin of a lemon and an orange.
- The skin of an orange.
- Virgin olive oil soft flavor or sunflower to fry.
- Sugar glas to decorate, white sugar or honey.
- We wash the orange and lemon well before grating their skins. We also wash the skin of the orange.
- In a bowl we put the beaten eggs, and add the sugar, the orange zest, the lemon, the oil for the dough and stir to mix well.
- Next we add the cinnamon, the matalahúva, the sesame and we mix again. Add the sifted flour and knead until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Knead until the dough does not stick to our hands.
- Once the dough is made, put it on the countertop, extend it with the help of the roller. Once well extended, we cut it into strips.
- We roll each of the strips on each piece of cane or metal tube to give the spiral shape and reserve.
- In a frying pan put the oil on the fire to heat along with the skin of the orange. When the skin of the orange is golden brown, we remove it and we fry the gañotes without removing the canes.
- Fry the gañotes on both sides, and to turn them over and fry them well we can help from a fork.
- We are depositing the gañotes on a plate that we have covered with absorbent paper or napkins to drain the oil. Let the gañotes cool and then carefully remove the canes.
When presenting them, we can sugar them, sprinkle them with icing sugar, or sprinkle them with honey.
How to crush the gañotes in honey
To hog the gañotes in honey and that the honey is impregnated once they dry, we can follow the following steps:
- 200 ml. of honey.
- 50 ml. of water.
- In a saucepan we put the honey to the fire when it is hot We heat add the water and while it continues to the fire with low fire we are stirring until they mix well water and honey.
- Cook with low heat until it starts to boil.
- We remove from the fire the glazed and even in hot we are going one by one the gañotes by the enmellado helping us of a tweezers not to burn us and placing them on a grate so that they go draining the honey and they go drying at the same time.
Images of the Mediterranean Diet Inventory and Miguel's Pastry. ThemesEaster Recipes