Gingerbread men: the traditional Christmas cookies
The ginger cookies are next to the nougat, one of the most characteristic sweets of the Christmas season. They basically consist of a paste made with a mixture of flour, egg, butter and sugar to which previously it has been given a humanoid form of the most characteristic.
With the passage of time, it has become a great way to welcome Christmas while we surround ourselves with our loved ones with a glass of milk or a cup of hot chocolate, no doubt two perfect accompaniments for gingerbread cookies.
Especially for the little ones, who can have a really good time cooking these sweets with their own hands to later see how they are cooked little by little in the oven of their own house. Is there a more fun activity for them during their Christmas holidays?
The origin of gingerbread cookies dates back to the 10th century
But when did the consumption of these cookies become popular? Surely many will ask. Well, we should go back to the distant tenth century, when Gregory Nicopolis, a monk of Armenian origin, he started creating his own cookies from the furnace of their religious convention so that poor children and orphans had something to put in their mouths during Christmas.
From there, its acceptance and consumption began to grow like foam. In fact, in full 16th century There were many monarchs and nobles who gave gingerbread cookies to all their friends and friends of the nobility.
A clear example of this was seen with the Queen Elizabeth I of England, who was delighted with the taste of these cookies, which began to give to all members of the Court as it is They approached the dates of Christmas Passover.
Recipe for making gingerbread men. To suck your fingers!
Surely after reading all these lines you have started to make your mouth water. And the truth is that we do not blame you for that! From NatureVia we also declare ourselves unconditional fans of any kind of Christmas candy, always taking them with a certain moderation.
For this reason, through the following lines we are going to tell you how to prepare these gingerbread cookies directly from your house. Do you like the idea? Well, first of all, you are going to need the following ingredients.
- 150 grams of butter
- 100 grams of brown sugar
- 300 grams of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Once you have all these ingredients, you will only have to carefully follow all the steps that we will describe below.
Elaboration of gingerbread men:
- We take a deep bowl and we toss the flour, the spoonful of bicarbonate, of salt, cinnamon, of ginger with all the brown sugar. After this, add the semi-melted butter with the beaten egg.
- We beat all these ingredients with the help of a rod for a couple of minutes to get a homogeneous mass. Sprinkle a little more flour on it and stretch it on a wooden surface with the help of a rolling pin.
- Next, we will proceed to cut this mass to our liking or using molds with Christmas motifs. This is where we can give a little free rein to our imagination to create the way we want. And if it is in the company of the little ones, well much better!
- Finally, just put the cookie dough in a preheated oven at a temperature of 180 degrees for about 20 minutes, until they are well browned by the outer layer. We can give the final touch with a little chocolate in a bain-marie or sprinkle more sugar to our liking.