Gofio nougat: 2 Canarian Christmas recipes
If there is a highly characteristic food of the Canary Islands, which in addition to delicious becomes a very nutritious option, the gofio stands out without any doubt for being one of the most important. It is the staple food of the indigenous peoples who inhabited these beautiful islands many centuries ago, thus constituting an authentic pre-Hispanic food, specifically of Berber origin.
As you probably know, it basically consists of a wonderful food made from roasted cereal flour, usually made up of millet or wheat, standing out for being something like a mixture of roasted and ground cereal grains generally to the stone.
Although it is traditionally consumed with milk or added as another ingredient in stews, broths and purees, it can also become an ideal option for desserts with gofio. A good example is the traditional gofio mousse, tremendously popular in the Canary Islands.
On this occasion we propose two ideal recipes for Christmas, completely different but which will delight many of our readers Canaries, and why not, also those who read us from other parts of the world but enjoy the taste and aroma of this particular and delicious natural food: an exquisite gofio nougat. Do you dare to prepare them this Christmas with us?
2 recipes of Canarian gofio nougat
It will take you to prepare each nougat around 1 hour, and to finish them in total about 6 hours.
- 100 gr of gofio de millo
- 75 gr of honey
- 125 gr of ground almonds
- 50 gr of sugar
How to make the gofio nougat:
- First of all let's proceed to toast the gofio a bit. To do this we must put a nonstick skillet on the fire and, while stirring, toast the gofio a little. When it is completely roasted, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, put the sugar in a saucepan on the fire and let it caramelize.
- When the sugar acquires a caramel texture, add the ground almonds and stir for a few minutes.
- Put baking paper in the mold you have chosen for making this nougat (remember that you can use a rectangular silicone mold or half a simple milk brick).
- Pour the almond and caramel mixture over the baking paper, and cool a little.
- When it is cold completely add the gofio and honey and end up kneading everything so that it is well integrated.
- Put the dough in a new mold lined with baking paper, flatten the whole surface, cover with more oven paper and reserve in the refrigerator so that it acquires the shape you want for a few hours.
- Ready!. If you want it when you serve it you can add gofio on top.
Nougat with gofio, honey, almonds and chocolate
- 125 gr of chopped almonds (not ground)
- 100 gr of roasted millet gofio
- 100 gr of honey
- 75 gr of sugar
- 100 gr of chocolate coverage
How to make the nougat of gofio, honey and almonds:
- Put the sugar in a saucepan and heat in the fire until it acquires a caramel texture. Just at this moment, smash the chopped almonds and stir well with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Put some vegetable or oven paper on the countertop and let the dough cool down a bit.
- Put this mixture of caramel and almond in a large bowl and add the toasted millet gofio and honey. Knead with your hand until a pellet forms.
- Line with baking paper a rectangular silicone mold or a milk brick cut in half and put the gofio nougat dough, comparing it well and leaving the surface smooth.
- Cover with more paper, lid and reserve in the fridge for a few hours.
- When the nougat has cooled and has the desired shape is the time to melt the chocolate. To do this, place the cover chocolate in a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring always with the help of a wooden spoon to avoid sticking the saucepan.
- When the chocolate is ready, remove the nougat from the fridge, carefully unroll it and add the melted chocolate on top.
- Ready! Serve it on a nice red plate and enjoy it.