How to make a coffee with French coffee maker (plunger coffee maker)
Did you know that the coffee Is it one of the most elaborated drinks every day and consumed in the world? Although in Spain we are very coffee growers, according to a recently published study, the inhabitants of the Nordic countries are the largest consumers of this drink in the world, estimated at around 2.5 cups per person daily.
For example, in a country such as Finland, around 12 kg are consumed. of coffee per year. Or, which is the same, around 1,266 cups of coffee per person. This country is followed by Norway, with around 9.9 kg. every year or 1,040 cups of coffee. However, in our country it is considered that every day 0.5 cups per person are consumed, estimating a consumption of 4.5 kilograms of coffee per person.
Be that as it may, coffee is a beverage as consumed as it is controversial. For decades there have always been many doubts related to their supposed not so positive effects on health, while on the other hand dozens of scientific studies and investigations have been published that would prove the opposite.
In any case, what is certain is that it is best to avoid consuming too much coffee, since it is evident that both coffee and any other drink or food that is consumed excessively will end up becoming a problem. In this sense, the most appropriate is Do not exceed 3 cups of coffee per day.
On the way to prepare coffee, there are many ways and options to prepare it, so if you are passionate about this drink you can choose between one or the other depending on your own possibilities or personal tastes.
At this point, if you are passionate about coffee and horror movies, you might be surprised to see how the protagonist of the film Sinister he used to drink a 'special' coffee that he or his wife was preparing in a somewhat strange coffee pot that more than a coffee pot resembled a teapot.
The truth is that the protagonist of this film, named Ellison Oswalt and starring Ethan Hawke, released in 2012 and tells the story of a journalist who travels with his family throughout the US in order to investigate terrible murders that he then turns into books, he used a plunger coffee maker.
What is the French press or plunger coffee machine?
Also known by the names of piston coffee maker Or simply French coffee maker, consists of a type of coffee machine that serves not only to prepare coffee but also to prepare tea.
Unlike other coffee makers, the French press tends to provide stronger coffee in comparison with other common coffee machines such as espresso.
Although its origin is not so well known, it is believed that it was originally invented in France in the 1850s, although it was not patented until 1929 by the Italian designer Attilio Calimani.
How to prepare a coffee in the French coffee maker
If you have a coffee maker of this type at home or have bought it in order to taste it, you should know that preparing coffee in this type of press is really simple and easy.
When it comes to the elements you need to make coffee, it is very simple: you only need 1 tablespoon of coffee for every half cup of water. In this way, you will need additional scoops of grains to make more cups of coffee, and more water. Although it is best to always opt for fresh coffee beans to grind at the time of preparation.
Once you have the ingredients, we will proceed to make our coffee in this coffee machine:
- First of all let's preheat the French coffee maker. Heat some water in a saucepan without letting it boil, and then pour it into the coffee maker to warm it up a little.
- Once this is done, grind the coffee beans in the amount that you give for the cup or cups you wish to prepare.
- Now put water to boil in a saucepan. The ideal is that the water reaches 90 degrees of temperature, which is the perfect temperature for coffee made with this coffee machine.
- Put the ground coffee in the press and add the equivalent to one cup of boiling water. Stir the water with the ground coffee a little.
- Put the press with the plunger on top and let it soak for 3 to 4 minutes (the longer you leave the coffee to soak, the stronger the coffee will be).
- After this time press the plunger slowly and firmly to separate the different pieces of ground coffee.
- To finish, pour the coffee in your cup and enjoy it.