How to make traditional apple crumble (Apple Crumble)
Throughout the world we can find a wide variety of characteristic, typical and traditional desserts from precisely the country or place where we are. In Spain, for example, it happens with the popular French toast or the traditional rice pudding, both desserts known and consumed in a very usual way. And in England the same thing happens with the crumble.
The story tells that once the Second World War ended, and especially after the rationing of food in this country after the war, a kind of fruit dessert from the food that remained or was left over then.
This is how this popular cake with fruits, whose name in his translation would come to mean something like "Crumble". And, in its preparation, it is prepared crumbling the flour with butter and sugar to give it then its particular and characteristic appearance, and its delicious crunchy texture.
It is common make it by opting for fruits that are slightly acidic, which makes them combine perfectly with the crumbled part of the sweet dough with sugar. On the other hand, there are those who choose to replace this mixture of flour, sugar and butter with crushed cookies.
Apple crumble recipe
This time we are going to learn how to make a typical crumble of Apple as it used to be the old fashioned way: crumbling the flour with butter and sugar. You will see that its elaboration is extremely simple. You will take about 15 minutes to prepare it, and to finish it about 30 minutes more.
Ingredients for the crispy:
- 250 gr. of wheat flour
- 170 gr. of sugar
- 70 gr. of butter
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 5 apples
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Ground cinnamon
Preparation of the apple crumble:
- First of all let's preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- Meanwhile, wash the apples well, peel them and cut them into small cubes (about 1 centimeter).
- Grease a rectangular-sized mold with a little butter.
- Place the apples in this mold in a layer that is as uniform as possible.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sugar and add ground cinnamon to taste on top. It is important that you do not stir the apples.
- Now let's prepare the dough. Cut the butter into small pieces. In a large bowl place the flour, sugar and butter cut. Mix with the hands forming crumbs. Once ready, reserve in the refrigerator for 15 or 20 minutes.
- After this time pour the crumbs over the apples.
- Take to the oven and bake at 160ºC for approximately 25 to 30 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Ready! You can serve it cold or tempered according to your taste.
On the other hand, if you want, instead of cooking it in a large rectangular mold you can choose to make it in small individual glasses.
How to enjoy the apple crumble:
The apple crumble can be eaten alone, cold or tempered, although the most traditional option is to consume it tempered accompanied by vanilla ice cream. On the other hand, in England it is usual to eat it hot accompanied by compotes, custard or cream.
Either way, accompanied or not it is a dessert slightly crunchy and delicious taste. ThemesTart Recipes