How to make vegan fritters
Do you like Fritters? It is quite probable that at some other time you have already tried them. Basically they consist of some wonderful dough balls traditionally made with wheat flour, butter and eggs, which are finally fried in hot oil.
They become a dessert or traditional sweet of the All Saints Day, where it is very common to consume them as a family accompanied by a cup of coffee or even a warm cup of thick chocolate.
Although it is also true that They are traditional sweets at Easter. Be that as it may, being typical sweets of these two clearly religious festivals, it is usual to find them under the name of fritters of Lent.
They are small candy, very rich in flavor and with a really characteristic appearance, which can be enjoyed at breakfast, at snack or as a dessert after a meal with the family.
However, although the traditional recipe is very basic, the buñuelos admits an infinity of diverse options, so that they can be consumed with or without filling. Among the most common fillings we can find pastry cream, cream or even chocolate. While they also tend to add other ingredients to the dough to provide flavor, as is the case of pumpkin or apple.
If you look at the version of traditional buñuelos de viento, there is no doubt that we are faced with a problem for those who want to enjoy them but follow a vegan diet. And it is that in its preparation eggs are used, butter and depending on some recipes it is also normal to add butter and milk.
Fortunately, there is the possibility of replacing those ingredients of animal origin with more natural ones, so that vegans can also enjoy the characteristic and traditional buñuelos de viento during this beautiful time of year. Do you dare to prepare them with us ?.
Recipe of wind donuts ideal for vegans
- 2 large green or red apples
- 200 gr. of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 liter of unrefined sunflower oil + 1 teaspoon for the dough
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 liter of apple cider
- 1 dish with brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
Preparation of the buñuelos of wind for vegans:
- Wash the apples well, peel them and remove their hearts. Cut them into small pieces.
- Squeeze a lemon to get its juice. Sprinkle the apple pieces with the sugar and add lemon juice over it. Now let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Put the wheat flour in a large bowl and make a hole in the center. In this hole add a pinch of salt, the teaspoon of oil and the cider. With the help of your fingers mix the ingredients well, but without beating.
- Grind the apple pieces, escaping them with the help of a fork and add them to the previous dough. Mix well again carefully.
- Once the dough is made let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Put sunflower oil in the pan and heat.
- Put brown sugar on a plate and cinnamon, mix with your fingers.
- When the oil is hot brown the fritters on both sides. Reserve each fried donut on a plate with absorbent paper (to remove most of the oil).
- To finish, pass the fritters fried by the mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Ready! You can enjoy them now.