Khaki jam: step by step recipe of an autumn sweet
Now that we are in the autumn it is possible to start enjoying the wonderful persimmons, an exquisite and delicious fruit native to Japan, and which is also commonly known by the name ofLignum vitae. It is a fruit easily distinguishable by its appearance and color, and with it we are going today to learn how to prepare an exquisite persimmon jam, which will give us the possibility of being able to enjoy it practically all year round.
The truth is that the shape or appearance of the persimmon is very similar to the shape of the large tomato, although unlike the latter, it tends to be orange. When it is green it tends to have a bittersweet taste and when it is chewed, it can be quite unpleasant, so it is best to try to consume it always mature.
Of course, to be mature we must be careful when we handle it, since it tends to be very sensitive to shock.
Although in its full and mature version we can enjoy it during the months of autumn and winter, luckily, with its pulp we can learn to make exquisite jams and jams. Do you want to know how? We explain what ingredients you need and the steps to follow. Take note.
- 1 kg of ripe persimmons
- 800 g of sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 glass of persimmon juice
How to prepare persimmon jam
- First wash the persimmons well. Put water in a saucepan and skim them in boiling water. Once scalded remove from heat and when the persimmons are cold, peel them. Chop the pulp well, reserving the juice (which is what we will use later).
- In an ideal casserole for jams or marmalades put the sugar and the juice of persimmon. Cook until you reach the ball point.
- Once it acquires a ball point, it incorporates the chopped pulp of the persimmons and the thickener.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally with the help of a wooden spoon. Check the consistency from time to time.
- When the jam has acquired the desired consistency foam at the end of cooking with the help of a slotted spoon.
- To finish, put the jam in glass jars with a tight seal until almost the edge, close the lid and place them face down until they cool. Finally, once cold, put a label with the dates of packaging.
Why is it essential to put the label with the date of packaging on the jars of jams and homemade jams?
You may be surprised to discover why in each of our jam or jam prescriptions we recommend adding a label with the date of jam or jam that you have prepared at home, and then place it in the jars or jars.
It is essential and essential, because in this way we will know at all times what was the date of preparation / packaging of the jam or jam that we have in our hands, and we will know if many months have passed or not since its preparation.
Although as we explained in the article Can jams and preserves expire?, it is not usual for them to spoil because it is certainly difficult for pathogens to survive in such an environment (due to its high sugar content, which at the same time serves as a preservative). But this does not mean that its flavor changes a bit. However, jams and preserves never usually expire.
Pumpkin jam recipe, easy to makeHow to make a delicious pumpkin jam? We propose the most traditional recipe, very easy to make. Discover the ingredients and necessary steps.
Images | Istockphoto TopicsJam prescriptions