Natural deodorants: healthy alternatives to deodorants with aluminum
While it is true that deodorants and antiperspirants have become, for decades, a widely used option in order to avoid sweat and odor from the armpits, the reality is that in recent years the emergence of various scientific studies have alarmed many consumers in the presence of certain aluminum compounds - as is the case with aluminum chloride, the most dangerous - in the composition of the best-selling antiperspirants on the market, and their alleged relationship with the increased risk of Breast or breast cancer.
The truth is that today it is very easy to find deodorants with aluminum in the market. In fact, the main brands of deodorants (that is, the most popular, popular and used by most consumers) contain in their composition some aluminum compound.
Moreover, we just have to look at the list of ingredients of our usual deodorant or antiperspirant and try to find "aluminum" or "aluminum chlorohydrate" to know whether or not it has any of these compounds. If we find it, we can confirm that our deodorant, the one we use frequently and every day, contains aluminum.
As we warned in a previous note, although it is true that the scientific studies that have been carried out so far are not entirely conclusive, the mere warning regarding the presumed relationship between the use of antiperspirants with aluminum and cancer breast is enough to try to avoid using it frequently in our daily hygiene routine. In fact, associations and centers of prestige as for example is the case of CSIC and warn about these relationships.
And what to do then? One option is buy deodorants that obviously do not have aluminum in their composition among its main ingredients. We can also choose natural deodorants, made with ingredients 100% natural and that we can buy in herbalists and health food stores. And another equally useful option is that of make our own deodorants at home.
Natural deodorants: unique recipes to make at home
An ideal useful option when it comes to avoiding deodorizers with aluminum is to make our own natural deodorants at home, which will be equally effective and also only contain total and completely natural ingredients.
In its preparation we will use ingredients as beneficial as for example is the case of coconut oil, shea butter, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch and white clay. What are the benefits of all these ingredients? We reveal them to you next:
- Coconut oil: It is an ideal ingredient to avoid the bacteria that cause the bad smell of the armpits, by acting as an antibacterial.
- Cornstarch: It helps in a very positive way when it comes to absorbing moisture from the skin.
- Shea butter: It is respectful with sensitive skins, helping to soften it and repair it. It is also useful to protect it naturally.
- White clay: It helps to detoxify the skin eliminating toxins and also avoiding the appearance of sweat.
Deodorant of coconut oil and cornstarch
- Ingredients: 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of corn starch and 8 drops of lemon or peppermint essential oil.
- preparation: Put the coconut oil in a bain-marie and over medium heat in a glass container where you can keep the deodorant. When the fat has melted add the baking soda and mix well. Then add the corn starch and mix well again. Remove from the fire and let cool. Once cold add the essential oil of lemon or mint in the indicated amounts and mix again. Reserve the mixture in the fridge to solidify.
White clay deodorant
- Ingredients: 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of white clay, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of corn starch and 8 drops of lemon or peppermint essential oil.
- preparation: Put in the water bath, in a glass container where you will keep and store the deodorant, the coconut oil until the fat melts. Now add the sodium bicarbonate, mix well, pour the corn starch and the white clay and mix again. Remove from heat and let cool. Now is the time to add the essential oil. Ready! Keep in the fridge.
Shea butter deodorant
- Ingredients: 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of shea butter, 4 tablespoons of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of corn starch and 11 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- preparation: Put a glass container in a bain-marie with coconut oil and shea butter until both ingredients melt.Then add the baking soda, mix well, the corn starch and mix again. Now remove from the heat and let it cool, to finish adding the essential oil. You can keep it in the fridge.
As you see, in fact these natural dosodorantes are very easy to make and elaborate. In addition, they have an added advantage: only you know the ingredients that you have used in their preparation, being therefore 100% natural ingredients.