Pancreatic cancer: what it is, causes, symptoms and treatment
The pancreatic cancer is characterized by an uncontrolled increase of a set of cells through all the walls of the pancreas. In any case, in most cases it starts to develop in the head of the pancreas and little by little it is extended through the whole body and tail of it.
It should be noted that the incidence of this tumor is quite low among the entire world population, although yes it is characterized by having a very high mortality.
After numerous studies it has been concluded that in Europe there are more than 78,000 cases together with the 32,000 that occur in the USA. It is estimated that this pathology usually appears in males of an advanced age that comprises from 60 to 70 years. Once this is known, we are going to explain the causes why this pathology may appear:
Causes of pancreatic cancer
The truth is that the causes of pancreatic cancer are still quite confusing. In the majority of occasions it usually appears without motive in males of advanced age. Although there may also be a number of factors that lead to the onset of this disease among which the following stand out:
- High incidence in males. It should be noted that men are more likely to suffer from pancreatic cancer. It is estimated that the risk is 30% higher in men than in women.
- Diabetes. According to numerous scientific studies, diabetes is slightly linked to pancreatic cancer. The same thing happens with obesity.
- Ingestion of too much meat and saturated fats. The excessive consumption of red meats and saturated fats also favor the appearance of this pathology.
- Smoking is also highly related to pancreatic cancer. Moreover, almost thirty percent of the cases of this tumor are directly related to the consumption of cigarettes or cigars.
- Genetic malformations The mere changes or malformations in the DNA of a person in question may happen after his heir is also prone to pancreatic cancer.
Now that we have learned more about all the causes of this cancer, we will talk about its symptoms, which can be aggravated while the disease is not treated properly.
Symptoms of pancreatic cancer
Among them, it is important to unite pain in the middle area of the abdomen which is usually intensified especially after ingesting any food that is swallowed.
This can be translated later into a considerable weight loss because the absorption of nutrients is zero. This can also lead to periods of diarrhea, vomiting and anorexia.
Finally, it should also be noted that this pathology produces what is known as "obstruction of the bile duct." This means that the bile produced by the liver it is not eliminated in a normal way, causing a clear case of jaundice to occur.
What treatment exists for pancreatic cancer?
Finally, it is only to close this article to talk about the treatment of this tumor, which can be treated in the following ways:
- Surgery. Surgical treatment has two clear objectives. The first is to resect and burn the tumors that so often appear in the head of the pancreas. And this practice is also used to extirpate those that spread throughout the body of the organ. Surgery is also resorted to in case the occasion has to be redirected by the biliary driver who in many occasions is blocked by the tumor.
- Chemotherapy. You can resort to this practice as a complement to surgery for a period that will not exceed six months. Chemotherapy is also used when there is a very advanced metastasis.
- Numerous studies have shown that radiotherapy has very positive effects in all patients suffering from this pathology.