Pumpkin seed milk: benefits and delicious recipes
Every year thousands of people in our country are diagnosed with lactose intolerance. These people have a deficit of lactase, so that their body is not able to absorb lactose correctly in the small intestine, quickly moving to the large intestine without first having decomposed, starting to ferment.
It is even common that many people do not know it. In this sense, many nutritionists advise paying attention to the symptoms or discomfort that may appear when we drink a glass of animal milk (for example cow's milk). If you feel indigestion, abdominal pain, flatulence, diarrhea, skin problems ... you may suffer from lactose intolerance.
The solution is obviously to avoid the consumption of lactose-rich milks (such as those of animal origin), and opt for vegetable milks, which are obtained from seeds or plant products.
Benefits of pumpkin seed milk
The milk obtained from the pumpkin seeds provides practically the same nutritional benefits as the pumpkin or the pumpkin oil, since it keeps its nutritional wealth intact.
Interesting nutritional qualities
On the one hand, it is a beverage that is extremely rich in healthy fatty acids, such as linoleic and linolenic fatty acids. On the other hand, it provides vitamins (vitamin A, E and F) and minerals (magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and iron).
Of course, not being rich in calcium, if we want this vegetable milk to become a good substitute for cow's milk it is best to add a cup of peeled raw almonds to the preparation, or Sesame seeds.
Useful against cholesterol and triglycerides
Pumpkin seeds provide healthy fatty acids, so they become an excellent natural option when it comes to reducing high levels of fats in the blood, particularly - as you will surely know - both cholesterol (especially LDL cholesterol) and triglycerides.
Therefore, it is a very interesting vegetable drink in cases where there are high levels of cholesterol and / or triglycerides in the blood.
Excellent drink for men
Pumpkin seeds with especially zinc rich, so it becomes an excellent natural drink for men, especially for those who want to have children.
The reason is found in that zinc is an essential essential and very important nutrient for reproduction, helping to improve the quality of semen, as well as increasing the amount of sperm.
Equally beneficial also for women
But its qualities are not only interesting for the man who wants to have children; It is also for the woman. Why? Very simple: for its richness in zinc it is useful for the creation of new cells for growth.
In addition, it provides vitamin E, which helps protect the ovules and helps to generate an adequate endometrium for proper fertilization and implantation.
Properties of pumpkin seed milk, in short
Taking into account the different nutritional values it provides, we can highlight the following benefits of pumpkin seed milk:
- Thanks to its richness in fatty acids, it helps maintain a good cardiovascular system, preventing cardiovascular diseases in turn.
- It helps to take care and protect the health of the skin.
- Because of its vitamin A content it is useful to strengthen our eyesight.
- Thanks to its richness in zinc, it helps strengthen our defenses, while it is an interesting nutritional remedy to improve fertility in men.
- It is especially suitable in case of prostate problems, when helping to disinfect and reduce inflammation.
- It helps to eliminate intestinal parasites.
How to make pumpkin seeds milk
As we explained before, the pumpkin seed milk is a milk of vegetable origin that is obtained from passing pumpkin seeds by the blender, which allows to be constituted as an adequate alternative for those people who suffer from lactose intolerance and can not take milk of animal origin especially rich in lactose .
It is a suitable and healthy drink from a nutritional point of view, thanks to its richness in essential fatty acids (linoleic and linolenic), vitamins (vitamins A, E and F) and minerals (zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and iron).
However, we must bear in mind that for it to become an excellent nutritional alternative to cow's milk, for its low calcium content it is best to add a handful of almonds to the recipe.
Ingredients to make pumpkin seed milk:
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of honey or brown sugar (optional)
Steps to make pumpkin seed milk:
- Take out the pumpkin seeds as we explained in the note how to get pumpkin oil.
- Once removed, put the seeds in soak for at least 4 hours.
- Add the tablespoons of the natural sweetener that you prefer in the blender glass, and go through the blender until it has a grainy texture.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve, and filter with the help of a thin cloth.
After preparing and keeping it (especially if you are not going to consume it on the fly once you have prepared it), it is totally normal for the nutrient part to separate from the liquid. Do not worry, this does not mean that it has been damaged or made bad. You just have to stir it up again at the moment of serving it.
If you want you can sweeten it with the sweetener that you like, although we prefer panela or honey. On the other hand, we recommend adding a little vanilla essence at the time of making it, and a pinch of cinnamon on top when you go to drink it. Delicious!
Another delicious recipe for making pumpkin seeds milk
If you have already tried the previous recipe and you liked it, you will probably also be encouraged to elaborate this other recipe that we are talking about below. It is a delicious option for those who enjoy the aroma and flavor of spices, as it is a vegetable drink more aromatic (to be spiced).
- Fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 l. of water
- 2 dates (to sweeten)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Half (1/2) teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of mozade nut
- 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom
Preparation of spiced pumpkin seed milk:
- First we must put the dates soaking. To do this, heat a little water in a casserole and add the dates when it is warm. Let them soak for at least 2 hours.
- After this time, put the dates, the water where you have soaked them, the half liter of water and the seeds in the glass of the blender, and crush everything very well.
- Then strain the drink with the help of a special bag, a telita or a strainer.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cardamom now. Mix well with the help of a wooden spoon.
- List! You can enjoy it now