Red or black stools: what they are, causes and treatment
The stools are a representation of the health and condition of our body. Any difference considered as "normal" within precisely this process could be considered as not so serious problems such as diarrhea, or gas, but what happens when we finish the process of digestion, and at the time of stool evacuation, have a different color to normal ?.
It is normal that depending on the stool color We feel or not worried, especially when its appearance or texture is not the same as days ago. And, above all, when that appearance becomes different and with really alarming signs.
It is the case of red or black stools have different causes for their appearance, although it is true that all have or present something in common: the presence of blood in abundance in them.
They become, therefore, a medical problem that must be monitored and analyzed by the specialist. It is therefore essential to discover the causes why they appear and what we should do about them.
What are red stools?
As has been said before, stools of red or black color are evacuated stools accompanied by blood in them, these can be of two types, coming to be these:
- Tarry stools (also called mane): They are black stools and foul odor as a result of a hemorrhage in the upper digestive tract.
- Hematochezia: evacuations mixed with clear and dark blood.
- Rectal bleeding: stools accompanied by light red blood, these are caused by bleeding in the lower intestinal tract, hemorrhoids, or severe bleeding in the upper parts of the digestive tract.
It is also possible that there blood hidden in the stool, which consist of the non-visible presence of blood in the fecal matter, which can be detected only by the use of a clinical test called guayaco test or fecal guaiac test.
What are the causes of red or black stools? Why do they appear?
There are different causes for the appearance of red stools in an individual, although they can be alarming causes such as intestinal cancer can also be much less complicated and easy to treat problems.
In fact, in most cases they tend to be harmless. Although it is advisable, and necessary, to go to the doctor to clarify the concrete causes and clear any kind of existing doubt.
The different causes that can lead to the appearance of red stools in an individual are listed below:
- Hemorrhoids: the appearance of bright red blood covering the stool is usually due to the appearance of hemorrhoids in an individual, these are varicose veins or inflammations of the veins in the rectum and anus, they are pads of submucosal tissue where the superficial venules and arterioles of the anal canal, the causes of the appearance of hemorrhoids in a person can be for different reasons, coming to be due to hereditary factors, obesity, constipation, diarrhea, nutritional factors, abuse of laxatives and because of pregnancy.
- Intestinal diverticulum: These are small invaginations that occur in the intestine, is a small bag or sac that is formed with the wall of the intestine and is located in the large intestine or colon.
- Colon cancer: is a type of cancer that affects the large intestine and rectum, this cancer can be caused by hereditary factors, caused by Gardner syndrome, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, Lynch syndrome, chronic intestinal diseases and can also be caused for a poor diet rich in fat and poor in fiber.
Treatment of red or black stools
You must go to a professional doctor to perform the necessary tests on the patient and make an accurate diagnosis of the cause for the appearance of red stools, once these examinations are made, the treatment is proceeded, which may vary depending on the the cause that has been diagnosed.
If the bleeding is caused by colon cancer, surgery, chemotherapy or radiation therapy will be required, while if the appearance of red stools is caused by hemorrhoids, the treatment will be based on curing them.
If the bleeding is due to hemorrhoids accompanied by diarrhea, it is advisable to remove from the diet seasoned, spicy and fatty foods, likewise, avoid alcohol consumption, avoid efforts to defecate, correct constipation if you have, do not use paper hygienic, but a wash with cold water and many other care that your doctor should tell you to cure the hemorrhoids of this, however, if the hemorrhoids are of third or fourth degree, you will also have to proceed with surgical procedures to cure hemorrhoids in the individual. This article is published for informational purposes only. It can not and should not replace the consultation with a Physician.We advise you to consult your Trusted Doctor. ThemesGastrointestinal disorders