Resveratrol: benefits and properties
The resveratrol is a phytoalexin (antimicrobial compounds that accumulate in high concentrations in some plants after bacterial or fungal infections), more specifically a type of polyphenol, which certain plants produce in response to injury and stress.
It is one of the substances that has attracted most interest among scientists for some decades, for the different Benefits Y properties that presumably contributes. Among these most outstanding virtues, its effects to be able to enjoy a much longer and healthier life. Although its benefits, as we will see, are much broader.
What is resveratrol?
Explained in a simple and understandable way, we can tell you that when a plant suffers a bacterial or fungal infection, it generates an antimicrobial compound called phytoalexin that helps limit the dispersion of the pathogen.
At this time we find resveratrol, a type of phytoalexin that, although it is also produced by chemical synthesis, we can find especially in certain foods and products derived from these foods.
Benefits of resveratrol
- Antioxidant: Helps to stop the process of aging and the decomposition of cells. In addition, it protects against the harmful action of free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory: it helps to prevent or diminish the inflammation of the tissues, which occur in response to an aggressive factor, regardless of whether it is known or unknown.
- Anticancer: thanks to its antioxidant benefits as anti-carcinogens themselves, it exerts a protective effect against the appearance of tumor cells and the progression of tumors.
- Reduce cardiovascular risks: it is an interesting essential nutrient in case of high cholesterol, thanks to that it helps to reduce both the LDL cholesterol and the total cholesterol.
- Good for diabetics: by helping to decrease and improve blood sugar levels.
- Prevents the accumulation of fats in cells.
- Eye diseases: helps to prevent and treat degenerative eye diseases.
Foods rich in resveratrol
Here's a brief summary of where you can find resveratrol:
- Red wine and must (Go to these two drinks during the fermentation process).
- Fruits: grapes and blueberries (red and black).
- Nuts: nuts and peanuts (peanuts).
- Seafood: oysters
Image | isante_magazine
More information | Phytoalexin This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist.