Sugar-free nougat recipes: for a delicious Christmas
If there is a typical Christmas dessert that, along with delicious, stands out as one of the most traditional of these so endearing and popular festivals, those are almost without a doubt turrones. And although today it is possible to find in the supermarket a wide variety of nougat of all flavors, textures and colors, there is no doubt that the classics par excellence will always remain undaunted.
But do you really know what a nougat is? It basically consists of a sweet dough or pasta, which is obtained from the cooking of honey (or other sugars) to which other equally basic ingredients, such as peeled and toasted almonds, are incorporated. It is also possible to add egg white in order to emulsify and thus acquire a better texture.
This is, we could say, the traditional, classic and original nougat. And among the most classic options, two stand out: the wonderful nougat from Jijona and the crispy and tasty turrón from Alicante.
As we told you, today it is normal to find ourselves in the supermarket with a wide variety of nougat. This is an excellent opportunity for those who do not want to make it at home. And, especially, for those who suffer from diabetes or do not want to consume nougat with high amounts of sugar, given that it is also possible to find us with nougat without sugar.
But, what if we want to make them at home? Likewise, it is possible to enjoy excellent home made turrones without added sugar, which thus become a deliciously nutritious option for those who do not want to consume more sugar than they could already provide some of the ingredients used in its preparation.
Do you dare to prepare them with us? We propose you 3 wonderful homemade nougat without sugar.
Jijona Nougat without sugar
The Nougat from Jijona It is the most typical and traditional nougat par excellence. Its main ingredient is almond, and it is made by mixing toasted almonds with honey and egg white, which is then cooked until a more homogeneous texture is achieved. It is also popularly known as soft nougat.
- 300 g of ground almonds
- 250 g. of coconut sugar
- Peel or scrape a lemon
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
Preparation of Jijona nougat without sugar:
- First of all let's toast the almonds. For this, put baking paper in the baking tray and bake at high temperature for 5 minutes. Once roasted, let them cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, we can crush the coconut sugar to make it even thinner. For this we can place it in the blender jar or in the crusher. Beat or crush well until you get a fine coconut sugar.
- Once we have the crushed coconut sugar we add the lemon zest and the cinnamon powder. Re-crush again.
- Now put all the ingredients in the glass of the food processor or the blender and whisk it all very well until the almonds begin to release the oil.
- When the dough is ready, put it in a mold. Put on baking paper and then a weight that helps the dough take the shape of nougat.
- Let it rest for about 10 hours.
- After this time you can enjoy it.
Alicante nougat without sugar
The Alicante nougat It is another of those typically Christmas desserts, which we can also find every Christmas in many homes in our country. Traditionally it consists of a nougat that is made with slightly roasted and whole almonds, to which honey is added and it is finished by placing a wafer on both its top and bottom.
- 650 g. of roasted and whole almonds
- 2 egg whites
- 1 package of wafers
- 400 g of fructose
- 5 drops of anise
- 3 tablespoons of water
Elaboration of Alicante nougat without sugar:
- In a saucepan prepare a syrup. For this, put the 3 tablespoons of water and the fructose, until you get a hard ball point (that is, quite a consistency). Remove from the fire and reserve.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl or bowl and beat well until they get snow.
- Add the toasted almonds, the egg whites to the snow, the syrup and the anise in a large bowl.
- Work well with the help of a spatula until all the dough or pasta is well joined.
- Place baking paper in an oven tray, put the wafers in the bottom and return the dough to the tray.
- Smooth and place another wafer on top.
- To finish, put on a wooden board with some weight. Book like this for a few days.
- After this time is ready, you can consume it and enjoy it.