The nap: benefits, how long it should last and contraindications
The custom of nap it is deeply rooted in our country; It is not vain, this custom is very old.
The origin of the word is in the call by the Romans "sixth hour" (exactly between 14 and 16 hours), and for example was a habit of resting after the meal to then get to face the rest of what is left of the day with better vitality and humor.
Not in vain, Camilo José Cela came to baptize her as the " Iberian yoga", Given that the siesta has the reputation of being a real invention" made in Spain ".
The nap is considered one of those Little pleasures of life, especially recommended in every way for its clearings Benefits for the health of the people who "practice" it, but still on it they plan a series of interesting questions and questions that are good to consider.
Some secrets about napping ...
- Give a brief rest to the brain after the meal is very positive, especially because it increases the ability to solve problems, stimulating creativity, imagination and intuition.
- According to data offered by the General Directorate of Traffic, in the year 2000 there were some 35,000 accidents with victims due to driver drowsiness.
In these cases, the nap is an ally, since it reactivates the state of concentration and alertness.
- In Córdoba (Spain), an official siesta time was decreed, given that between 15 and 17 hours the sound levels could not exceed 55 decibels, being therefore the appropriate time for napping.
- It is an essential habit for children, especially because it calms them down and helps them to be rested, which will prevent them from arriving at seven in the afternoon restless and irritated.
Most important benefits of napping
- Relieves tension, in addition to relax.
- It helps to rest and to clear the mind.
- Increase creative capacity, intuition, imagination, and one's ability to solve problems.
- Prevents aging and lengthens life, given that, according to some studies, its repair effect is capable of fight free radicals.
- Is good for maintain a healthy and natural beauty, since it helps us to reflect luminosity and freshness.
- It is also positive to maintain good mental health, especially because it helps us stay positive and have a good mood.
- Reduces the risk of heart attack.
- Increases performance, eliminating both physical and mental fatigue.
- Combat anxiety and stress.
- It causes a feeling of well-being.
How much is necessary to sleep during the siesta?
Although it is thought otherwise, the most recommended nap, to enjoy all its benefits, is between 10 minutes and 1 hour, although a short nap of 15 to 20 minutes plus eight hours of sleep is ideal for enjoy all its benefits.
How long should the nap last?
Although it is best to always leave about 10 or 15 minutes after eating for bed, experts recommend that the nap Do not last beyond half an hour.
This is because if the 30 minutes, the person enters the REM phase, a much deeper sleep stage in which waking up is not easy, and then causes them to feel much more exhausted and tired.
Main contraindications of the nap
Mainly people who have insomnia problems, and above all can not sleep at night with ease, should avoid taking the nap. This is because if they sleep more, the solution to their problem could become difficult, as many experts say in this regard.
Nor would it be recommended for those people who tend to have problems with sleep-wake cycles. In this sense, especially for those people who have rotating shifts in their work, or who work at night.
In any case, in this last aspect the nap Yes it could be recommended, but it is not recommended that it last beyond 15 minutes. This article is published for informational purposes only. It can not and should not replace the consultation with a Physician. We advise you to consult your Trusted Doctor.