Tips when buying fresh fish and how to recognize it
The fish is among the most healthy and important foods in our diet, in a healthy and balanced diet the fish must be present at least two or three times a week.
It is a food full of nutrients and benefits for our body, its caloric intake is low, it is a good source of proteins, fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids Omega 3 present especially in blue fish, these essential amino acids help us to prevent bad cholesterol and protect our cardiovascular health.
Among the different nutrients of fish we can mention the presence of good quality proteins (Lysine, methionine, cysteine, threonine and tryptophan). On the other hand, it is very rich in healthy fats, although the fat content of fish varies depending on the type of white, semi-blue, or bluefish.
For example, white fish contributes 3% of fat and even less, semi-fatty fish between 3% and 5% of fat and fatty fish between 5% to 15%, thus becoming the variety with the highest content and fat content.
On the other hand it also provides vitamins among which we can mention the presence of vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B12, D and E. And minerals, highlighting the contribution in potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iodine, iron, zinc and magnesium.
As we said before it is important when buying fish to look at a series of tips or details that will help us to differentiate really fresh fish.
Tips to recognize fresh fish
Ideally, we should have a trustworthy fish market nearby, in which we know that the fish sold to us is fresh and, above all, to know what days of the week the fish arrives at the fish market to buy it.
The advice of the elders of the family always come to us well and surely more than one of us and on more than one occasion we have heard advice like this when we had to go to the fish market:
"Look at the fish's eyes to detect their freshness, they must be bulging not sunken, and with brightness."
In addition to these wise advice we must take into account:
- The exhibition trays where the fish is located should be in an inclined position, covered with ice and the fish on top to keep it fresh.
- The fish should never be exposed to the sun.
Regarding the appearance of the fish we will look at:
- The eyes: They should be bulky, shiny and bulging.
- The guts: They should have a good color, pinkish tone, shiny skin, gills that are dark is not a sign of freshness.
- The smell: It is one of the symptoms that alerts us sooner of its freshness, it must give us the smell of the sea.
- The meat of the fish: We must ask the fishmonger to press the flesh of the fish with his finger, the flesh of the fish has to be firm without sinking to the pressure of the finger or to mark the footprint.
- The scales they should not be detached easily.
- The spines They should be glued to the meat.
Following these tips we will undoubtedly know how to recognize fresh fish and, as we have said before, it is a food that can not be lacking in a healthy and balanced diet.
It is also an important food in the growth of children, so we must offer it to the children 2 or 3 times a week.
Some children find it difficult to eat fish, it is up to the parents to make our imagination fly a bit and to prepare recipes with fish that are attractive or fun for the children. We know that most of the time the children are encouraged to eat for what they see.
One of the ways to cook fish to make better use of its properties and to benefit from all its nutrients is to grill it with a few drops of virgin olive oil, prepare it in the oven, or simply boil it. This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist.