Vigota Potaje: Easter Week Recipe
Little is missing for Holy Week and these days are lived in all parts of the Spanish geography between processions, beach, mountain, or just stay at home resting.
Those mini vacations will help us to relax, rest and recharge our batteries until the summer holidays. In all homes, Easter is also enjoyed between the stoves, preparing traditional recipes to enjoy these days.
The confectionery also has its traditional recipes. The star ingredient to prepare the different recipes during those days is fish, especially on Good Friday.
Potaje de Vigilia Recipe
It is one of the traditional recipes these days and is mainly prepared to taste on Good Friday.
The Vigil Potaje is prepared with Salted cod, spinach and chickpeas. When treating sinful salty should be taken into account to do the soaking and water changes previously to remove excess salt, at least 2 days before cooking.
Water changes can be made every 8 hours and always keep it in the fridge between change and change.
We must also take into account the day before or the night before putting the chickpeas Soak or use the chickpeas already cooked industrially.
In the case of spinach we can use either fresh or frozen spinach.
- 400 grams of desalted cod.
- 250 grams of chickpeas.
- 6 bunches of fresh spinach chopped.
- 250 grams of potatoes.
- 3 sliced onions.
- 3 garlic cloves.
- A teaspoon of sweet pepper.
- 2 bay leaves.
- A teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Some strands of saffron.
- Coarse salt (to cook the chickpeas).
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Water for cooking.
- If we have put chickpeas in soaking, we discard the water from soaking. In a pot we put the chickpeas and add water to cover them and a little salt. We put the chickpeas to cook with medium heat until they are tender.
- We remove the cod from the soak, cut it into small pieces and reserve it. Wash the spinach bunches well and chop them lightly.
- We remove the skin to the onion and garlic cloves and chop everything into tiny pieces. We remove the skin from the potatoes, wash them and cut them into squares.
- In a pot or cauldron we put a little olive oil to heat to prepare a fry. When the oil is hot, brown the cloves of garlic and onions with low heat.
- When the frying is almost ready, add the teaspoon of sweet paprika, stir and add the teaspoon of cumin, and the laurel leaves.
- Add spinach, chickpeas, potatoes, and pieces of cod. Cover with a little water and add some saffron strands.
- Cook the Vigilla stew with medium heat until it starts to boil.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a minimum and cook until the potatoes are tender.