What are the benefits of dairy products?
The dairy products They are one of the foods that have the best reputation. Its most known benefit is the high calcium benefit it has, which is especially advantageous for people of all ages. But, in addition, dairy products have many more benefits because they are an important source of protein.
However, it is also true that there is a wide variety of doubts about them, as well as many other myths, especially related to their supposed effects not so positive for health, as we explained to you on a previous occasion in which we talked about The whole truth about cow's milk.
Main benefits of dairy products
Maintenance of bone mass
According to a study published by Gennari, the decrease in the consumption of dairy products and, therefore, calcium, is related to a reduction in bone mass. In this way, bone problems such as osteoporosis appear in elderly people.
Reduces blood pressure
In 1999, a study was carried out in which the relationship between the consumption of dairy products and blood pressure was established. Well, by way of conclusion it was established that consuming three daily servings of whole milk products, combined with the consumption of fruits and vegetables, reduced blood pressure in both the hypertensive and the normotensive group.
Control of cholesterol levels
It has been shown that a daily ration of dairy products reduces by 40% the chances of suffering from metabolic syndrome, that is, from the high cholesterol levels and glucose mainly.
Those mentioned above are the three most important benefits of dairy products. But there are also others:
- Weightloss: Studies have shown that these types of foods help reduce body weight, by being satiating, so they reduce the intake of other foods.
- Improves immune system: In general terms, dairy products have a great antibacterial effect. In this way, they are a great incentive to raise the body's natural defenses.
- Cancer: Dairy products have a very powerful antioxidant effect. In addition, it has been shown that the cells of patients in chemotherapy have increased their sensitivity thanks to this type of food.
- Muscle mass: Practically 100% of athletes consume dairy products daily because they are a great source of vitamins and promote the increase of muscle mass.
- Anxiety: A single glass of milk can significantly reduce the state of stress.
Types of dairy products and where they are obtained
Although milk is the best known milk in the world, there is a large selection of dairy products. Here are some of the most elaborate and consumed today.
We explain how each of them is obtained and the different types that exist.
- Milk: Milk is the most consumed dairy product in the world. Milk includes products such as pasteurized milk or skimmed milk. Although the consumption of raw milk was once very popular, its consumption is decreasing by leaps and bounds, especially in developed countries.
- Cheese: The cheese is obtained by coagulating the milk protein (casein), which is separated from the whey. There are currently hundreds of varieties of cheese around the world; most of them are specific to a specific region. They are divided into hard, semi-hard, soft ripened or unripened.
- Butter: One of the most consumed dairy products in developed countries. It is obtained by beating the whole sour milk.
- Cream: It is the part of the milk that is comparatively rich in fats; it is obtained by skimming or centrifuging the milk.
- Condensed milk: Another dairy product also very consumed, although it is mostly as a companion. It is obtained from the partial elimination of water from whole or skimmed milk.
Surely you already knew that these types of products are very rich in calcium, but the rest of the advantages of dairy are more unknown to society. The recommended daily amount for a dairy adult is 2 or 3 servings. This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist.