What is seitan, the delicious vegetable meat
Among the different meat substitutes, especially if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, or if you simply want to eliminate it from your diet, we can find different, much more natural options that provide us with interesting benefits and nutritional properties, as well as vegetable proteins that They stand out precisely because they are easier to assimilate by our organism than animal proteins.
One of these foods is the seitan, a delicious food that can become, in fact, a delicious alternative to animal meat, not only for its nutritional qualities, but for its taste and texture (which reminds a lot of it). Therefore, it is also called as vegetable meat, because its appearance is very reminiscent of animal meat when cooked. In addition, in the kitchen is a very versatile natural product, since it can be prepared in very different ways: in stew, breaded, battered, grilled, fried ...
Seitan is a product of natural origin, what is made from wheat flour (hard, Kamut or spelled), particularly wheat gluten. In addition, it is made with tamari, kombu seaweed and ginger.
Although it is based on traditional gluten elaborations from both China and Japan (in this country for example there is a similar product known by the name of fu, although it is made toasted, steamed and dried), it is considered as a recipe or modern dish of macrobiotic, vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
It actually becomes one of the most popular vegan and vegetarian dishes, along with tofu.
Nowadays it is possible to buy it easily in herbalists and in vegetarian stores, under different presentations. The most common is to find it in the form of spongy balls, which have a firm texture and a brown color.
Seitan quick recipe
- 500 gr. of wheat gluten
- 1 liter of cold water
- 1/2 of soy sauce
- 2 strips of kombu seaweed
- 1 clove garlic
Preparation of seitan
- In a saucepan put the wheat gluten first. Now add a little water until you get a homogeneous mixture but it does not stick on your hands.
- Form a ball, and divide it into 4 equal parts.
- Peel the clove of garlic and leave it whole.
- In a pot put the liter of cold water, the clove of garlic (without splitting), the soy sauce and the kombu seaweed.
- Let the water boil. When it starts to boil, add the pieces of gluten. Leave over medium heat for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the fire. Leave the pot covered until the recipe is cold.
Images | Mattie Hagedorn / Lablascovegmenu / Eliot Phillips This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist. ThemesVegan