Almond milk: benefits, prescription and contraindications
The consumption of almond milk is advisable when you can not eat the usual cow's milk, as it contains lactose which reacts by indisposing the digestive system during digestion.
The almond milk It contains numerous properties that favor with greater emphasis during the growth and adolescence of a child. This milk is totally, naturally, vegetable and balanced, which is elaborated from the almonds. In addition, it is not composed of any kind of preservatives or additives and less gluten, lactose or cholesterol, share properties related to soy milk and because of this its calcium content is essential during the early stages of life.
It is important to mention that not only almond milk favors the development of people but that the benefits they have are good for people who suffer from celiac, lactose intolerance or even those people who do not consume products of animal origin.
The level of cholesterol can also be regulated or controlled by the intake of almond milk, as it will maintain the appropriate levels indicated.
The benefits of almond milk
The properties of almond milk are numerous and varied, then we will name the most outstanding ones with which we will try to inform you for a later benefit.
- It is important to consume almond milk for people with high cholesterol or triglycerides levels.
- For lactose intolerant, it is recommended to consume it as it helps to make digestion as light as possible.
- Its high content in potassium It is advisable for diarrhea or vomiting where potassium levels are reduced, milk helps to recover it.
- In many cases, people who suffer from gastritis or gastrointestinal problems change their diet including almond milk because it gives them a recognizable improvement.
- It contains a level of fiber solube and insoluble so it protects the wall of the intestine especially in favor of the colon, helps regulate the absorption of sugars and cholesterol.
A data considered important is that almond milk reduces cholesterol levels twice the consumption of olive oil.
Nutritional values of almond milk
- Carbohydrates: 62 g.
- Proteins: 12 g.
- Fat: 10.5 g.
- Dietary fiber: 4.5 g.
- Vitamins: A (210 U.), E (15 mg), vitamin B2 (152 μg) and B1 (55 μg).
- Minerals: phosphorus 220 mg, calcium 200 mg, potassium 200 mg, sodium 35 mg and iron 5 mg.
How to make almond milk: recipe
Making almond milk at home is extremely simple and easy. In addition, it becomes an excellent alternative for those suffering from allergy or lactose intolerance, since it only contains almonds and water among its ingredients, and gives us an interesting amount of benefits and nutritional properties.
- 1 cup of raw almonds (without salt or oils)
- 3 cups of water
Steps to make almond milk:
- Put the raw almonds in a bowl of water, and let them soak overnight, or for at least 5 hours.
- After this time remove the water and rinse the almonds well, several times with clean cold water.
- Put the washed almonds in a blender, add the 3 glasses of water and beat everything until there is a paste.
- Now use a container, and on top of it place a fine mesh or cloth sieve, to strain the drink.
- Once cast, reserve the milk in glass bottles with airtight seal, and store the almond paste to make sauce or to use it in dishes.
If you wish, you can consume this milk before 4 days, to prevent it from spoiling.
What are the contraindications of almond milk?
Although the so-called as almond milk (whose most correct name would bealmond drink, faithfully understood as such), becomes a vegetable drink made in a completely natural way, and that gives us most of the benefits that almonds give us (although obviously less because we do not consume them whole), it also tends to have some contraindications that we should take into account before taking it.
And what are those contraindications of almond milk? The most important are the following:
- Allergies:Its use is not advised in people allergic to nuts, especially in case of allergy to almonds.
- Thyroid:Although we will deal with this question in a following section, its excessive consumption can produce alterations in the thyroid and goiter.
- Babies:It is not recommended for consumption by newborns and babies, especially if this drink is used as a replacement for breast milk.
What is the relationship between almond milk and thyroid problems?
We must bear in mind that almonds are considered as a goitrogen food, which means that they have a series of natural chemical substances that inhibit the correct absorption and use of iodine. As a result, the thyroid can be seriously affected.
So, the consumption of almond milk is not advisable in people who have a thyroid problem. However, it is a safe drink in those people who have a healthy function of the thyroid, as long as it is not consumed in excess (for example, no more than 2 glasses of this drink a day).
Pros and cons of the wonderful almond drinkWritten and updated by Carolina Pérez
Choosing that vegetable drink as a daily drink will provide us with many essential nutrients through the bran and germ of the whole grain, two different parts of the grain. The germ is the internal part that is rich in nutrients and the bran is the external part of the grain. But, why is it a good alternative?
It is the drink that has a lower risk of producing allergic reactions. Since there are people who have lactose intolerance or allergy, others who have it to nuts and soy, so it can be a good option for all those people. In addition, it has a balanced supply of nutrients.
It has a lower amount of fat compared to others. We would find 1 gram per glass approximately and it is also free of cholesterol.
It has a good supply of vitamin B necessary for metabolism, among other things. We found healthy heart nutrients in the rice bran due to the unsaturated fat that comes from the rice bran oil that could help lower the blood cholesterol level.
But what about the cons of this drink?
It is low in proteins so we can choose to take it but we will have to supplement that contribution with another food that provides more protein to our body. We found about 2 grams of protein in each glass. Unlike cow's milk and soybean that have a higher concentration between 7-8 grams.
It is low in calcium approximately 15-20 milligrams of calcium per glass so as we discussed earlier in the protein intake if we want to take it we will have to supplement with foods that complete that calcium intake we need daily.
If you are trying to lose weight or you are diabetic, it will not be the best option because of its high carbohydrate content. Rice has a high starch content of about 33 grams of carbohydrates per glass.
If we have diabetes, it can cause a sudden overload of sugar. This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist. ThemesVegetable drink