Plantago: what it is, benefits, properties and contraindications
Originally from northern India, Pakistan, Iran and Egypt, the plantago has been postulated as one of the plants to be taken into account at present due to the amount of properties and medicinal benefits they offer for our body. However, it is precisely in the cover of the seed (also called as tegumentos) that its most relevant advantages are enclosed.
It should be noted that the plantago belongs to the family of the plantaginaceous, their shrubs can reach perfectly 60 cm in height and their leaves are characterized by being senile and are usually pollinated by the mere effect of the wind.
Already in the prehistoric era this shrub was used as a potent natural remedy to treat many flu, colds or any other viral picture with highly satisfactory results. For this reason, this plant is still used today in all types of teas, oils and infusions.
Main benefits of plantago
Would you like to know, therefore, what other advantages does this plant offer for our health? Well before this, we are going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines as we are going to relate with great detail the amount of benefits that plantago has for our health.
It is ideal to treat constipation
A tea or infusion made with this plant will help us considerably to get rid of those pictures of constipation How annoying they can be. Therefore, we recommend that you accompany this plant with a good piece of fruit at breakfast or before going to sleep. And we are sure that both your intestine and your stomach will thank you.
Relieves pain and discomfort of hemorrhoids
Surely many of you have suffered those painful and annoying hemorrhoids sometime in your life. Would you like to eliminate or at least mitigate your symptoms next time? Then take a tea or infusion of plantago a couple of times a week, and you'll see how you can say goodbye to the hemorrhoids much earlier than you imagine.
It is a most satiating plant
It is very normal that when we have a hunger of the most atrocious, we are very likely to ingest a large amount of food as soon as possible. However, this only means neglecting our line and gaining overweight.
Given this, it is best to drink a plantago drink before any lunch or dinner. And you will see how a feeling of satiety floods your body.
Fiber will reduce blood cholesterol levels
Plantago seeds are an inexhaustible source of fiber. This means that thanks to this nutrient we can fight some conditions like high cholesterol while at the same time we will enjoy better intestinal health. For this reason, this plant is also a powerful ally to take care our line in a completely healthy and natural way.
What are the contraindications of plantago?
However, consumption excessive plantago can have a series of counter-effects or side effects. And then we tell you some of them:
- It decreases the absorption of iron. It has been shown that plantago causes iron to not be synthesized correctly in our organism. Therefore, it should not be consumed by people suffering from anemia.
- It can cause intestinal problems. Certain people may suffer from some intestinal problems that can later translate into stomach and abdominal pain, vomiting and nausea.
- Some people are allergic to ispágula. This consists of a nutrient (very present in this plant) that in high doses can have allergic effects that will later result in mild asthma or eye watering.
Plantago properties, in summary
Here we summarize some of the main ones benefits of plantago, a medicinal plant that, as we have seen, is ideal in the treatment of constipation:
- Ideal against constipation.
- It is able to increase the fecal bolus.
- It facilitates the smooth transit of intestinal contents.
- Protects the digestive mucosa in case of colitis.
- Useful for the treatment of chronic constipation.
- It is ideal within satiating plants in diets.