The benefits of drinking sparkling water and contraindications
Sparkling water or carbonated water is water with carbonic acid, this drink is also known as siphon water, and when carbonated water is added to bicarbonate it is called soda. Carbonic acid is what causes water to have bubbles, and therefore gas.
There are myths and controversies about whether the water with gas is good or bad for health and whether it should be consumed or we should opt for the consumption of mineral water without gas. The consumption of sparkling water in Spain is 10%, while in other European countries its consumption is usual.
The sparkling water, in addition to drinking it as table water, is usually incorporated into other alcoholic beverages such as gin, whiskey, wine or summer red.
Water is an indispensable liquid for the life of the human being, and without it we could not live. In addition to the life of the human being, water is an essential good also for the life of all living beings.
With gas or without gas what we should have clear is that you have to drink water and in the amounts necessary to hydrate well and help the body perform its functions properly.
There is a notable difference in the field of health, when referring to sparkling water and how healthy it can be, because we must take into account that it is not the same natural gasified mineral water that contains carbonic acid from the source from which they come, not water to which carbon dioxide has been added later.
The amount of sparkling water we drink can be combined with still water until the ideal amount of water we drink per day to be well hydrated, about 8 glasses a day.
We can say then that sparkling water yes, but in moderation since moderate and regular consumption prevents and reduces the risk of coronary heart disease. Studies carried out by the Higher Council for Scientific Research (CSIC) confirm this, as the consumption of carbonated water decreases aldosterone concentrations.
Aldosterone is a hormone that is secreted by the adrenal glands and that plays an important role in blood pressure since its function is to regulate the pressure. When the aldosterone concentrations are high they cause an increase in the reabsorption of sodium and water, releasing potassium in the kidneys, which increases the blood pressure.
The benefits of drinking sparkling water
Below we present some benefits that sparkling water gives us and also the cases for which its consumption is contraindicated.
- The water with gas helps us to make the digestion, facilitating it, making them lighter, especially after copious meals.
- The carbonic acid it contains helps to stimulate the secretion of gastric juices.
- It is recommended for people suffering from dyspepsia or heavy digestion.
- It helps to decrease the concentrations of the hormone aldosterone.
- Helps control blood pressure.
- It favors the elimination of sodium through urine.
- Reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
- It helps control cholesterol levels.
- It helps reduce high levels of bad LDL cholesterol.
- It also helps control triglyceride levels.
Of course, even if it is a healthy and healthy drink you should also keep certain precautions and basic consumption tips. For example, we should not take a lot of water with gas and we should not exceed the consumption of carbonated water so as not to increase the gases in the digestive tract.
Situations for which water with gas is contraindicated
For the cases described below, the consumption of carbonated water may be contraindicated or moderate consumption could be made.
- Water with gas is not recommended for people who have a predisposition to suffer aerophagia (gas).
- For people who have a hiatus hernia.
- People suffering from gastroesophageal reflux.
- People suffering from infamous colon.
- People suffering from irritable bowel
- People with severe respiratory insufficiency, COPD.