Arnica Montana: properties to relieve muscle aches
The Arnica Montana is a plant that belongs to the family of Asteraceae, is native to the mountainous areas of Europe and also known by other names such as Mountain tobacco
It has been known since antiquity for its beneficial properties, among which we highlight: to relieve pain caused by bumps, falls, contractures, pain caused by soreness, to reabsorber bruises, to refresh legs and relieve fatigue and to improve the circulation.
This plant is only for external use and its collection is done in fields of crops and from there it is commercialized. Its internal use is not advised since it is toxic.
In case of preparing infusion, it should only be used externally, on the skin. The Arnica Montana we can find it in pharmacies, parapharmacies, herbalists, and natural products stores.
The most common format in which Arnica is presented is cream. Before using the cream we will try a little on the skin to observe possible reactions.
Other formats in which we can have this medicinal plant is in the form of Arnica Montana essential oil.
How to prepare an infusion to soothe muscle aches
A useful and recommended option when it comes to obtaining its different properties and applying it on the skin with the aim of soothing muscle and joint pains is to elaborate a infusion of arnica montana. How? We explain it to you below:
Ingredients you need:
- 1 handful of arnica montana flowers
- 1 cup of water
Preparation of the infusion of arnica montana:
You just have to put the water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. When it reaches this point, pour the boiling water over the arnica montana flowers, cover and let it rest for 15 minutes. Finally strain and let cool a little.
How to apply it on the skin?
It is very simple. You just have to soak a cloth with this infusion and apply it to the area you want to treat.
When Arnica Montana should not be used: contraindications
Like many plants with medicinal action, Arnica Montana has certain contraindications, which means that it should not be used in the following conditions, stages and conditions:
- It should not be ingested since it is toxic.
- In cases of pregnancy and lactation.
- Sensitive skin.
- Open wounds.
- Wounds with blood.
- In cases of allergy to this plant.
Suffering a blow as a result of a fall or any other circumstance is sometimes inevitable, however we can avoid other discomforts such as Stiffness or muscle contractions Paying attention to these simple tips:
- To prevent the stiffnesses: we should drink water before and after exercise to be well hydrated.
- The exercise has to be controlled by dosing the effort, from less to more.
- Stretching is also important, so it must always be done both before the exercise and after finishing.
- To prevent muscle contractions: you have to perform a good warm-up before starting any sporting activity.
- Perform stretching at the end and hydrate with plenty of water.