Exquisite watermelon: unique benefits and nutritional values
When it comes to combating high temperatures, it is very important to drink at least two liters of water in order to keep our whole body hydrated. For this, we can go to fruits that are composed of almost 90% water while at the same time we eat all kinds of vitamins and minerals that are most beneficial to our health.
And a good example of this is found in the watermelon, a fruit of the family of 'Cucurbitacaeae' that had its origin in Africa, but that throughout the twentieth century its consumption began to expand on the other continents of the world thanks to its sweet and characteristic flavor. In fact, the watermelon seeds They also provide many benefits for our health.
In fact, its cultivation is usually carried out along the entire Mediterranean coast so that the fruits (or watermelons in this case) begin to bloom during the months of June and July. For this reason, we do not need to tell you that watermelon should be taken especially in summer, a season that invites us to refresh ourselves with this fruit in those days where temperatures can perfectly exceed 40 degrees.
Know the nutritional values of watermelon
Having known the origins and how the cultivation of this most special reddish fruit is produced, it is time for us to delve into the different nutritional values what watermelon brings If you are really interested in knowing them, we are going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines:
Rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium
The truth is that few fruits are a great source of all kinds of elements as with watermelon. For example, magnesium will provide us with a chute of extra energy after having carried out an intense physical activity. Calcium is essential for all bones and joints to be the most resistant throughout our lives.
While thanks to potassium, we will balance our blood pressure. For its part, phosphorus helps improve the intestinal calculus among some of its many benefits.
With a high content of vitamin A and C
As it happens for example with the orange and the tangerine, Watermelon is also a fruit that is high in vitamin C, a nutrient that seems vitally important now that winter is looming on the horizon.
This is because it is a nutrient that will strengthen all our defenses and that will get us less exposed to colds and flu. On the other hand, vitamin A also promotes the development of tissues related to the retina so it is an essential nutrient to improve our eyesight.
It is hypocaloric
Another of the great advantages offered by the watermelon is that it is a hypocaloric fruit. What does this mean? Surely many will ask. Well, a portion of 100 grams of watermelon It contains only 20 calories.
Therefore, it is a food to be taken into account for those athletes who want to hydrate or simply for those people who love fruit who do not want to neglect their line.
Nutritional values of watermelon
Nutritional information of watermelon, per 100 grams:
- Energy: 20.3 kcal.
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 grams
- Proteins: 0.4 grams.
- Fats: traces.
- Minerals: magnesium (11 mg), potassium (88.5 mg), iron (0.2 mg), calcium (7 mg).
- Vitamins: vitamin A (37 mcg), vitamin C (8 mcg), folic acid (3 mcg).
- Fiber: 0.3 grams.
- Beta-carotene: 18 mcg.
What other benefits does watermelon provide?
Have you stayed with more enthusiasm about know some other benefits that watermelon brings? Well then you will have no choice but to continue accompanying us through this last paragraph:
- Watermelon is a powerful antioxidant. This is because it is an inexhaustible source of what is known as 'lycopene', a substance that will help us stay younger with a much stronger nervous and cardiovascular system.
- It is a very diuretic fruit. Because it is composed of 91% water, watermelon is one of the most diuretic fruits that exist. Therefore, it is a very important food for all those who suffer from fluid retention.
- Clean our entire urinary system. Watermelon has a high content of potassium, an element that helps to cleanse and eliminate all toxins that are deposited in the bladder.
Properties of watermelon, in short
Below we summarize what are the main benefits of watermelon. Take note:
- Hydrates and remineralizes, thanks to its great water content.
- It has a broad antioxidant power because it has a substance called lycopene.
- It is ideal for low-calorie diets by owning only 20 calories per 100 grams.
- It helps to purify the organism.
- Stimulates diuresis.