Salvia: benefits, properties and contraindications
The sage It is a plant that belongs to the family of the lamiaceae that has been from time immemorial used as remedy Y natural analgesic to treat all kinds of diseases and conditions of the time. Although it was also used (and still is used) a lot in the field of gastronomy, as a seasoning in many dishes due to its smell and aroma of the most characteristic.
The one known as ‘salvia officinalis' It is cultivated through all regions of the planet. Although it is precisely in Central America, South America, Asia and the entire Mediterranean basin where the largest number of species of this plant is concentrated.
As a curious fact, it should be noted that the term salvia comes from the Latin verb "I will save" which as you know will mean "save". In fact, this weed was already used in full Roman empire where Pliny the Elder He was the first to describe all the medicinal benefits offered by sage in general.
Sage properties you should know
And to you? Would you like to know first-hand all the benefits that this plant brings to our health? If so, we're just going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines.
Sage is a natural antibiotic
Surely many of you are most likely to suffer flu and colds just at the precise moment in which begin to lower temperatures.
In this sense, salvia will help you considerably to cure these two annoying conditions thanks to its high in vitamin A and C. And on top of that it has expectorant effects and therefore it will be very useful to treat hoarseness, aphonia, angina or pharyngitis.
Beneficial for our stomach
It has been shown that sage turns out to be most beneficial for our stomach health In fact, there are many people who take it to treat diarrhea, gastritis, vomiting wave heartburn after eating a most copious meal. It also favors digestion, eliminates excess flatulence, swelling in the abdomen and hiatal hernia.
A glass of sage infusion per day will be very beneficial for those who suffer from diabetes. The reason? Well because this medicinal plant helps significantly reduce blood glucose levels.
Also has diuretic effects so there are also many people who take it to tell you goodbye to the fluid retention while at the same time they want to lose weight and take care of their line.
Relieves menstrual pain
To all those women who read us every day in NatureVia, we just have to give them good news. And is that sage will help them mitigate the pains coming of its menstrual cycle in a more than remarkable way, so it is ideal at calming the ovarian pain.
It is also a potent natural analgesic that will help us to treat headaches, stitches in the abdomen and those pains that so often appear in the part of the ovaries.
It helps to sleep
If you are one of those many people who suffers from insomnia, we are going to recommend that you take a good Sage infusion just minutes before going to sleep and you will see how you will be able to fall asleep in just a few minutes. Therefore, it goes without saying that this plant is a powerful ally to treat insomnia and power Sleep like this for about 7 or 8 hours without any problem.
How can we take sage? Here some ideas
Surely after reading all these lines it has been much clearer the amount of properties that contains the sage in general. Therefore, next we will close this article to tell you about the different ways that exist to take it.
- Teas or infusions. It is possible to find teas or infusions of salvia already prepared directly in the supermarket that you should only mix with a little warm water. It is also a very diuretic drink that will help you lose those extra kilos and get a flat stomach.
- As a seasoning. You can also buy dry salvia leaves to combine them together with thyme and rosemary. In this way, you get a mixture of pantas that will serve to season your meat and fish or simply to make a rich natural tomato sauce that will be completely delicious.
Contraindications of sage that must be taken into account
But nevertheless, salvia also has a series of contraindications What must be considered. One of them has to do especially in those people who suffer from epilepsy since it can cause more attacks if they consume this plant in large quantities.
Sage is also not suitable for all those who have kidney insufficiencies. And neither should those women who are prone to developing benign tumors since the consumption of salvia triggers the production of estrogen
Benefits of salvia. Ideal for:
- It helps to reduce the problems of flu and colds, angina, pharyngitis, hoarseness or aphonia.
- It acts on ulcers, cuts and wounds helping to heal it and preventing them from subsequently becoming infected.
It is also used by your benefits and properties as a natural remedy In these cases it is used against:
- Stomach pains, diarrhea, vomiting and heavy digestion; preparing 3 cups of sage infusion per day will be enough for these symptoms to disappear.
- Gastritis or gastritis nervosa, flatus or hiatal hernias, sage will help alleviate these diseases.
- For especially nervous people, to whom infusions of salvia They will help reduce symptoms and the feeling of nervousness will decrease.
- For women with painful menstruation, since sage helps relieve menstrual pain such as headache, ovarian pain and fluid retention during this period.
- Protects diabetics to decrease the increase in blood sugar level; for this a glass a day is highly recommended.
- In addition, a cup of infusion before going to sleep will help you fall asleep, so it is recommended for people who suffer from insomnia.
These are just some of the properties of sage, although it is also widely used as a muscle relaxant, for oral infusions, for fertility since it helps the production of testosterone, for people suffering from Alzheimer's, and as a beauty product it can be very positive to strengthen hair in case of fall along with rosemary and thyme. This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist. ThemesMedicinal plants