Sesame seeds: incredible health benefits
Although many times they go completely unnoticed in our eyes, Sesame seeds are present in any daily food. What's more, with them we can prepare gomasio, the popular salt of sesame. In addition, we can also find them in the typical hamburger buns and they are also present in countless sweets such as cookies, cakes or donuts. And over the years, sesame oil has also become famous due to the great boom that this food has brought both Chinese and Japanese cuisine.
Throwing other interesting facts about sesame, it should be noted that the "Sesasum indicum"It is a seed that usually grows in India and Africa since time immemorial. Although it was not well into the eighteenth and nineteenth century when it began to transport to the continents of Europe and America.
Thousands of slaves of that time bartered with her in order to get other food or spices. And from then on, it was increasingly settled in regions like the US and the Caribbean. And there are many dishes in these areas whose main base is sesame.
However, this seed It does not only serve to season and give more flavor to our dishes. It is also a food that contributes numerous benefits for our health. Would you like to meet them? Well, if so, we're going to ask you not to lose sight of the following lines.
Benefits of sesame seeds
Sesame is a powerful source of vitamin E
Surely many of you did not know that sesame is one of the best sources of vitamin E that exist. In fact, it is also very present in some nuts, such as almonds Y hazelnuts. Once this is known, we will go knowing some of its other properties:
- It is a powerful antioxidant. Thanks to the consumption of vitamin E it will be possible to delay the aging process of all our skin, getting us to look younger and more lush.
- Can cure cardiovascular and eye diseases. Vitamin E is also a powerful ally to combat hypertension. Its consumption is also recommended in elderly people since it prevents the appearance of eye diseases.
Magnesium is very present in sesame seeds
Such an important component like magnesium we can also find it inside the sesame seeds. As happens with iron and calcium, it is an element to be taken into account for strengthen our entire immune system. To all this, we must add the following benefits:
- Fight stress. This is something to keep in mind today. Especially if we lead a busy life with all kinds of personal and professional tasks that can cause us to feel fatigued and tired. That is why we recommend the consumption of magnesium a couple of times a week with the aim of raising our spirits.
- It gives us a plus of energy. This is due to the fact that magnesium accelerates the metabolism, something that is translated after a chute of energy sometimes so necessary to face the rest of the week at 100%.
- Prevents diabetes. Some scientific studies like the one he gave in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition"They claim that sesame seeds regulate the production of blood glucose. This means that this food can be a great help in preventing diabetes.
How can we take sesame seeds?
Another great advantage offered by sesame seeds is that we can consume them in a multitude of different ways, each one with its particular benefits. The first and most common of these is to take them completely toasted and add them to any whole grain bread that we take for breakfast.
Likewise, another delicious way to enjoy all its advantages, is to mix it with honey that we can anoint later in a rich toast just when we get up. This will make it possible to strengthen our defenses and we will also have enough energy to face the day.
Finally, it is also very common to see them in the form of Sesame oil. This liquid gives us an extra amount of Omega 6 and 9 which turns out to be most beneficial for our health.
Properties of sesame seeds, in short
- Advisable for men, whose daily consumption prevents male infertility, thanks to its zinc content.
- It is ideal for pregnant women and women who have reached menopause, thanks to its calcium content.
- It is a powerful aphrodisiac.
- Useful against high cholesterol when lowering cholesterol, due to its contribution in lecithin.
Nutritional information for sesame seeds
100 grams of sesame seeds provide the following nutritional values:
- 599 calories.
- Proteins: 20 gr.
- Fat: 58 gr.of unsaturated fats.
- Minerals: calcium (675 mg.), Iron (9 mg.) And zinc (5 mg.). It also contains copper, chromium, phosphorus and magnesium in smaller quantities.