The copper It is a mineral characterized by being a fundamental micromineral for our organism. In fact, among other important functions and benefits, it plays an important role both in the assimilation and in the use of iron.
In addition to being a fundamental mineral in our diet, copper is commonly used in the contraceptive products industry, precisely because it is a toxic micro-mineral for sperm.
- Useful in transportation, assimilation and transport of iron.
- It participates in the degradation of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
- Involved in the formation of hemoglobin.
- Participates and intervenes in the formation of red blood cells.
- Intervenes in the correct assimilation of vitamin C.
- Participates in the proper maintenance of the bone structure.
- It transmits nerve impulses to the brain.
- Useful in the production of energy.
- It intervenes in the production of melanin.
- It helps produce superoxide dismutase.
Benefits of copper
In addition to the copper functions indicated in the previous section, it also provides the following benefits:
- It positively affects the color of both our skin and our hair or hair.
- It helps produce a substance called superoxide dismutase, which protects us from the negative action of free radicals.
- Involved in the transfer of oxygen in the muscles.
Recommended daily amounts of copper
(mg / day)
From 18 years old
Deficiency symptoms of copper deficiency
The copper deficit can cause:
- In babies: pale skin, enlarged veins and diarrhea.
- White blood cell count low.
- The sense of taste can fail.
- Alterations of the central nervous system.
- Loss of minerals
Foods richer in copper
Here are the main ones copper sources:
Liver of lamb
Who may need copper supplements
People with Menke syndrome (congenital metabolism in which the cells of the body can absorb copper, but can not secrete it), need copper supplementation.
Since zinc depletes copper reserves, it is likely that those who are taking zinc supplements also need to take copper supplements.
Therapeutic uses of copper
- Useful in the treatment of osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Relieves the symptoms of arthritis.
Image | pointnshoot This article is published for informational purposes only. You can not and should not replace the consultation with a Nutritionist. We advise you to consult your trusted Nutritionist. ThemesMinerals