Fish with onions or fish onions. Canary Recipe
One of the best known dishes or star we can say of the Canarian cuisine is the sancocho. A wonderful and excellent dish with an exquisite flavor, prepared with salted fish. In the Canary Islands, in fact, it is very common that when we have left over fish with which we have prepared the sancocho, we take advantage of preparing a delicious fish soup with onions.
Of course, the Fish Encebollado In addition to preparing with the salted fish of the sancocho that we have left over, it can also be made with fresh fish. Another option to prepare the fish with onions is to buy the salted fish to make the encebollado.
If we decide on salted fish we should consider putting it to soak it the day before and make the water changes, at least 4 changes. The fish that we can find salted are the cherne, donkey, croaker or sea bass.
Onion fish recipe
- Salted fish or fresh fish, half a kilo.
- 5 onions cut into squares.
- 4 ripe tomatoes without seeds and slices.
- 2 red peppers cleaned and cut into small cubes.
- 2 green peppers cleaned and cut into small cubes.
- 6 cloves of garlic without skin and minced.
- A teaspoon of sweet pepper.
- A pinch of ground black pepper.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 sprigs of fresh or dried thyme.
- 4 nails.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml. of white wine to cook.
- 200 ml. of water.
- Salt, optional (only if it is fresh fish).
- A pinch of turmeric.
- If we prepare the fish onions with salted fish that we have left of the sancocho we remove the skin, the thorns and chop or crumble it.
- In case we have bought the salted fish and previously we have desalted it, before making the onion, we should cook or parboil the fish.
- We remove the fish from the soaking and cut it into pieces.
- We will put water in a cauldron to boil and when it starts to boil we put the fish to cook for 30 minutes along with an onion and a sprig of parsley.
- Once the fish is parboiled, remove from heat and drain, discard onion and parsley. We let the fish cool down to remove the thorns, the skin and crumble or chop it with your hands.
- We reserve the fish in a cauldron, while we prepare the frying. In a pan put a little olive oil to heat to poach the onions.
- When the onions are almost ready add the diced pepper, the minced garlic cloves, the diced tomatoes, stir and cook for 5 minutes with moderate heat.
- Then add the sweet paprika, the ground black pepper, the thyme, the cloves and stir well.
- Let cook with low heat for 2 or 3 minutes more. We add the wine to the frying and we give it a boil with moderate fire. Remove the fry from the fire and pour it over the salted fish that we have in the cauldron.
- Then pour over the water, a little turmeric and cook the fish onions for 30 minutes with low heat and stirring frequently.
- We put out the fire and arrange the fish on a tray or platter to take it to the table and serve it on individual plates.
The fish with onions we can accompany it with some boiled potatoes, wrinkled potatoes and a salad.