Recipe of Christmas trunk (Bûche de Noël)
Christmas parties are, in almost every household, the ideal time to bring out the culinary arts, through the preparation of the most succulent and traditional delicacies, something that varies greatly between countries, regions and even families. Sometimes it is also an opportunity to try dishes from other cultures, especially in the case of desserts.
The Christmas log or " Bûche de Noël"It is a traditional sweet that is made during the Christmas holidays in countries such as France and Belgium, in the French-speaking regions of Switzerland and Canada, and in several former French colonies. As it can be deduced from its name, it is a dessert that imitates the shape of a wood ready to be placed in the fireplace. This recalls an old custom in which he used to keep a slow-burning trunk in the home from Christmas Eve to New Year's Eve.
The traditional trunk is prepared with a base of sponge cake, filled with pastry cream or chocolate cream, rolled on itself and covered with a chocolate ganache, butter cream or whipped cream.
Traditional Christmas log recipe
Ingredients (for 8 people)
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 80 g of sugar
- 50 g of flour
- 50 g of potato starch
- 1 pinch of baking
- 1 grated lemon rind
- 2 buds
- 25 g of starch
- 50 g of sugar
- 200 ml of milk
- 50 g of chocolate fondant
- 250 ml of cream for desserts
- 100 ml of chocolate
- Assemble the yolks of 4 eggs with the sugar until you get a clear and sparkling appearance, after which we will add the flour and starch, a pinch of bicarbonate and lemon.
- Add the egg whites previously assembled to the mixture in the mixture.
- Place baking paper on the bottom of a baking sheet, pour the obtained mixture and level as much as possible. Bake the sponge cake at 180º C for about 10 or 12 minutes.
- Place baking paper on the work table and flip the cake over it so that the paper used for cooking can be carefully peeled off. Cover the pasta with a new sheet of paper and roll it while it is still hot.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the pastry cream with chocolate, beat the 2 yolks with the sugar until obtaining a clear and foamy mixture, add the sieved starch and keep mixing until obtaining a homogeneous mass.
- Add the milk and add it to the mixture, after which we will pass it to a thick-bottomed pot, where the cream will be cooked over a very slow heat, stirring constantly until the proper density is obtained.
- Turn off the heat and add the chocolate in chips. Mix vigorously until completely dissolved and let cool.
- Spread the cream over the entire surface of the cake, but leaving a couple of cm on the edges. Roll carefully, wrap the "trunk" baking paper and leave in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Meanwhile, mount the cream and add the cold melted chocolate.
- Once the roll is cooled, cut both ends transversely and reserve them.
- Place the main portion of the trunk on a tray and coat it with cream, after which we will glue the previously cut ends to give it its characteristic shape.
- Also cover these pieces and grate the whole with a fork, to imitate the crust.
- Sprinkle the trunk with granulated sugar and place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
Additionally, you can also decorate the tray or fountain where the trunk is served with some Christmas accessories, such as red fruits, pineapples, etc. ThemesChristmas Christmas Recipes