How to make classic and gluten-free polvorones
Surely you are with us if we say that the polvorones they are very characteristic sweets of Christmas, as it happens with other equally traditional sweets of these so popular celebrations, as for example is the case of the turrones or the marzipan.
In the case of polvorón, it consists of a kind of small size cake made with ground almonds, wheat flour and lard, which has the peculiarity of crumbling when we bite it.
Nowadays it is common to find it with a wide diversity of flavors, either flavored (for example with cinnamon, with lemon ...) or even with certain natural ingredients added (as it could be the case of chocolate, coconut, orange ...) .
What is the origin of polvorones?
To investigate the origin of the polvorones we must travel to Spain, a country where in fact they are tremendously characteristic and popular. Specifically Andalusia (in the steppe), where back in the sixteenth century was very common to use lard in the pastry.
However, it was not until the 19th century when Filomena Micaela Ruiz, known by the name of "La Colchona", began to make some mantecados in order that her husband began selling them for all those towns through which she passed.
So that his conservation was more and better, he began to make some mantecados that he dried at the end of the elaboration process, in this way they were kept fresher and they acquired the typical polvorón texture. We could say that she was an enterprising woman who improved the butter recipe until she produced some sweets that later became the sweet star of Christmas: the polvorones.
In fact, we should know that mantecados are different from polvorones, although they have a similar appearance and almond is the common ingredient in both. However, butter has a lower amount of flour than polvorón, and stands out for being more compact.
If you want to surprise your family and friends these holidays, here is a list of recipe of homemade polvorones so you can make them comfortably at home.
Recipe of homemade polvorones
- 600 g. Of flour
- 300 g of lard
- 300 g of ground almonds
- 150 g of icing sugar
- Cinnamon powder
How to make homemade polvorones:
- Put the oven on medium heat, and in one of its trays put the flour to be toasted.
- When it starts to catch some color, remove it, letting it cool.
- Now make a kind of volcano with the toasted flour and, in the center, add the butter, a pinch of cinnamon and sugar.
- Love everything very well. A uniform mass must be formed.
- Now cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest for an hour.
- Sprinkle the flour a little on the counter and spread out the dough. Of course, it must remain with a certain thickness.
- With the help of a short mold now the dough in different portions.
- Sprinkle the tray with a little flour again. Preheat the oven to medium temperature.
- Put the portions in the tray and leave them for about half an hour.
- Finally let them cool and finish sprinkling with icing sugar.
Recipe of polvorones without gluten
Because the polvorones are made with wheat flour, we have a Christmas product not recommended for people with celiac disease (ie, gluten intolerance). But this does not mean you can not enjoy delicious ones gluten free polvorones. Today we want to offer you a simple homemade recipe.
- 3/4 kg. of gluten-free flour
- 1/4 kg. of sugar
- 1/2 kg. of butter
- Icing sugar
- In a bowl and with the help of a colander, sift the gluten-free flour to avoid lumps forming. Mix it with sugar. With the butter in ointment, add it to the previous mixture together with the vanilla essence, and mix until you get a soft dough.
- Cut into small pieces and form balls. Flatten them and place them on a baking tray where you must have placed baking paper (with some butter to prevent sticking).
- Bake at medium temperature until golden brown. Once ready, sprinkle with icing sugar.