White or pale stools: why they appear, causes and treatment
It is normal to find problems of some kind at some point in our lives at the time of going to the bathroom, whose changes can be from simple and temporary to really alarming and disturbing.
In this sense, there is no doubt that one of the reasons for greater alarm at the time of going to the bathroom and doing belly is to observe a change in our stools, either in its shape, its smell or especially its color.
And what is one of the biggest concerns at this point? Probably the appearance of blood in the stool (having red or black stools), and also the appearance of white or pale stools after the digestion process has finished.
White stools are a serious problem and should not be ignored; In this article we will tell you what they are, the causes of their appearance and the treatments that must be carried out in order to cure them effectively.
Causes of the appearance of white stools
There are different causes that can produce the appearance of white stools in an individual, then listed the most common causes that produce this state:
- Certain medications can cause the appearance of white stools in an individual, these can be such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, oral contraceptives, some antibiotics and anabolic steroids can cause a drug hepatitis, which is the inflammation of the liver due to the use of drugs. This hepatitis and the consequent stools with different coloration usually disappear a few weeks after suspending the use of the medically trigger.
- Alcoholic hepatitis: As the name suggests, it appears due to excessive alcohol consumption, the symptoms of which are ascites, edema, fatigue, jaundice and hepatic encephalopathy.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis: It is an irritation and swelling of the bile ducts of the liver. It blocks the flow of bile, which damages the liver cells and leads to scarring, called cirrhosis.
- Cancer or non-cancerous tumors (benign) of the liver, biliary system or pancreas, these can interfere with the flow of bile or inflame the liver, a doctor can remove the tumor by surgery. It may be necessary to undergo radiation or chemotherapy treatments if the tumor is cancerous.
- Gallstones: These are solidified deposits in the gallbladder that can obstruct the flow of bile. Sometimes, they can be dissolved with medication. If they are large or do not disappear with medication, an intervention will be required through surgery to remove these.
- Ciliary tract cysts: These can impede the circulation of bile. The cyst may disappear without treatment or it may be removed by surgery.
- Stenosis of the bile ducts.
- Sclerosed cholangitis: It is an inflammation or formation of scar tissue in the bile ducts, which are the conduits that transport bile throughout the body. The doctor can repair the damage to the bile duct with medication or surgery.
- Structural problems in the biliary system that are present from birth
- Viral hepatitis: is an inflammation of the liver caused by a virus, which can be hepatitis A, B or C. Hepatitis C usually causes liver disease
- The jaundice, which is the yellowing of the skin and mucous membranes due to an increase in bilirubin that accumulates in tissues, especially those with a greater number of elastic fibers.
Diagnosis and treatment of white stools
The appearance of white stools is a serious matter that should be immediately consulted with a professional doctor, who should give him adequate treatment once the causes of the appearance of white stools are detected and diagnosed, depending on the diseases that the patient has. Doctor will send you a different treatment to solve the problem.
The tests that must be carried out to give an accurate diagnosis by your doctor should be the following:
- A blood test where you can see some anomaly on the part of this.
- A computerized tomography: diagnostic test that generates an image of the inside of the body.
- A magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography: a special type of magnetic resonance, or MRI, that captures detailed images of the biliary system
- An abdominal ultrasound: is a test based on sound waves to create an image of the organs and verify that everything is in order and in place.
Once the cause that causes the appearance of white stools is treated, it should return to its normal color, but if it is not a curable cause, the stool will maintain an abnormal appearance.
If you want you can learn more about how are normal and healthy stools. This article is published for informational purposes only. It can not and should not replace the consultation with a Physician.We advise you to consult your Trusted Doctor. ThemesGastrointestinal disorders